Roller Coaster Weekend

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Got a call at work at 5AM on Friday the 24th, my wife is in labor. A little early but should be no problem. I call in relief and go home.

Get almost home, walking the last little bit. I hear sobbing. Get inside and several of my children and my wife are crying. The midwife can't hear a heartbeat. My wife realizes that it has been more than 12 hours since she felt the baby move.

After prayer, we decide to go to hospital to deliver stillborn baby. Drive the hour to hospital, walk in to Maternity--babies and Moms-to-be all over (of course, but not thought of ahead of time) my wife almost breaks down realizing she won't be holding a living baby.

We get set up in a room, the nurse hooks up monitor AND THERE IS A HEARTBEAT. Praise the Lord!!

However the baby is in distress, an Ultrasound shows everything OK baby about 34-35 weeks (5-6 weeks early) not much amniotic fluid. We prep for the possibility of a C-section. The OB adds fluid to the womb so contractions won't compress baby so much.

At 2:18 AM on Saturday 9/25 we have a living healthy 5 pound 7 1/2 ounce girl. Emilee Rejoice.

We all leave hospital at about 3PM on saturday. All are doing well.

For those keeping track that evens us out 7 girls 7 boys.
The most impressive thing to the OB? A 42" umbilical cord /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man im so glad it worked out but sad ya had that fear tht must a been awefull. ps ya have the bigest family i ever heard of lol ya must get grocies in a tractor tralor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Glad everything worked out and that little Emilee is doing well. 14 children, wow. I always thought it would be great to have a large family. I guess I watched the Waltons too much on TV growing up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Congratulations on the birth of your new baby girl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif.

B@rt

Flashaholic
babyrattle.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wits End! Congrats on a healthy baby girl!

I've not got as much experience in the delivery room as you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But it is my judgment that this is why the doc is there! The philosophy is different now than it was 30 years ago. They don't do much of anything but catch unless there is a problem. And then you want them there!

I'm convinced that the reason that Dad's were not allowed in when I was born is that too many OB's were getting punched by husbands when they saw all the horrible things they did to their wives that they believed were necessary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can I also add in my own comment of "WOW 14!!!"

KingSmono

Enlightened
Congratulations man!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

14 kids??! That's amazing!!!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whew, you had me scared for a moment. Good story with a happy ending. Congrats Wits.

Now I know shy you chose your handle...with 14 children, I'd me at the end of my wits too.

Best of luck to you and your pride.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
14 children is truly amazing! Congradulations!

When my Dads work had us in Jersey, family directly across had 8, just down the street, 11...

Must be something in the water up north? Or maybe being snowbound now and then does it....

Latest posts