Gas fire pit idea--opinions?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that Fall is here and it's getting colder out, I've been considering a fire pit to place on the deck to both warm and light up these chilly nights.

I looked at a copper fire pit (looks like a big, deep serving dish) where the owner starts a fire with a few logs, and once the fire is out, the ashes are dumped. I'll admit it, I'm lazy. I don't want to haul logs up the stairs, I don't want to take the time to light a fire when I'm already cold, and I sure as heck don't want to dump the ashes in the back yard in the dark.

So I had an idea--how about I canabalize my old grill that I plan on replacing in the Spring! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My idea would be to:
1) Make a tile finished, heat resistant backing for the pit that would do double duty to separate the propane tank from the pit and to reflect the heat back to me. I'd mount the regulator somewhere on the side.

2) Cut a small hole in the bottom of the copper pit to fit the line through. Inside the copper bowl would be a smaller, thicker bowl (small s/s pot maybe) where a single burner from the grill would be placed.

3) Cover the burner with a mesh screen just an inch or two away then fix in place. Then "liquid metal" the bottom of the burner for an air tight seal.

4) On top of the mesh place rocks that can handle the surface temperature and act as a filter for the propane. I'd need rocks big and angular enough to let the propane out in a steady stream (thumbsized). In the copper fire ring around the burner pot, I could place whatever decorative rock I'd like for effect since it won't be as hot.

5) Then all I'm left to do is to turn on the gas, listen for a hiss and light it with a fire place match (making sure not to stand right over it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). When we're done, turn off the valve and watch the flames die out.

It won't be as big a fire as the corresponding "regular" log fire, but I don't really need a bonfire--i just want somewhere to warm our hands and toast some marshmellows.

So, if you've followed me this far, what do you think of my idea? Feasability?

To anybody with experience working with gas, if I make sure to properly heatshield the tank and the line, do you think I'll have any problems?

Any idea what kind of rocks would look really good for the fire pit. I'm thinking of dark, cinder looking rocks for the burner area, but something contrasting for the rest of the ring.

Yeah, I know, full of questions---but if you have any pointers, they would be appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif