Jaws?

Greta

Flashaholic
This past weekend, my husband and I had the opportunity to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium to see the baby Great White that is on exhibit there. Click here to read about her.

Here is the picture that we were able to get of her...

GreatWhite1.jpg

This was an incredible experience for us and we really enjoyed it alot! Well worth the drive and the crowds! I have lots more pictures of the wonderful displays and sealife that we were able to see. I'll get them uploaded and posted later. I highly recommend a trip to this wonderous place... and yes! Bring the kids! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackness

Newly Enlightened
awsome pic i just hope in all his they keep the health and well being of the shark in mind. great whites as they know don't do very well in captivity. hopefully this new very large enclosure will be different. i would hate to hear that she died while in there. all that said if they can study great whites and benifit the species i am all for it as long as their scientific asperations don't blind them to the fact they have a living creature in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
rackness and Xrunner... click on the link that I provided in my first post and your concerns and questions will be answered there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Sasha... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

-Mike

62 pounds and 4-foot, 4-inch if anyone else is wondering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wonder what the person who cleans the tanks thought about the addition of the great white. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nice timing on that picture, Sasha!

rackness

Newly Enlightened
thank you sasha i did read it. good article i just hope they stay true to what they say. if this works it will due wonders for the species. best of luck to them and the toothy gal! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chengiz

Enlightened
I didn't even think of the divers who maintain the tank. I was wondering what the Albacore thought when she joined their little world. I hadn't seen the tank prior to her arrival so I don't know if the Albacore race around the tank like they are at a Nascar event.

The Hammerheads were up near the surface and the Reef Sharks for the most part were crising the bottom. The Barracuda were hanging high and in the center watching and waiting. A ray dove hard for the bottom and we were able to get the shot above. By the way, all the creatures were swimming clockwise.....that is except for the bad girl who was swimming the opposite way. I think these creatures have rejoined the real world.

I assume there is a constant current and the regulars go with it. She may swim the opposite way because the current feels good, or she is a jerk and exercising her right to be a great white. Either way she did this with no visible effort. An example of a perfect creature.

If you live in the area you must go and see her. This may be the only opportunitiy in your life time to see such a specimen on equal terms....her in the water and you on the ground.

They won't name her, the only thing they have named in the Aquarium is the Otters, they will never be released into the wild. Their names come from John Steinbeck novels...Rosa, Mae, and Maggie.

Greta

Flashaholic
coach... my server is down right now... check back in a bit and I'm sure you'll be able to see it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Oh,I see it now.Awesome! In the tank that is.Wouldn't be awesome while swimming! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:

62 pounds and 4-foot, 4-inch if anyone else is wondering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwww, she's just a big schweety! Yes she is! Is she daddy's big girl? Yes she is!

(Apologies to Bob and Tom)

nethiker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
...they're eating shark right now on Survivor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Comming from a family that has always dived together, my father taught us early on a most basic rule-- "You don't eat them and they won't eat you."

Now that I live in the mountains, I give bears the same respect.

Greg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
She's a pretty shark, but not as harmless as she looks. There was a news story earlier this month about the fate of some of her tank-mates. She killed two other sharks, and evidently thought some of the others were dinner.

I hope they can use the information they gleaned from her captivity.

I have to second the other posts, the aquarium has some beautiful exhibits. I used to go there a couple times a year when my kids were young, now we only make the trip when entertaining guests.

Daniel
(charter member, Monterey Bay Aquarium --- for 25 years)