1W at Target

keving

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. Just a heads up: Target is now carrying a Luxeon 1W, under the Eddie Bauer brand name at Target. This light is the COAST/LED LENSER V2 Power Chip. If you get the chance- take a look. Comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

Kevin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some Targets are also carrying the 1 watt Dorcy 3AAA

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
I saw it and I believe the price was the same as what the 8 LED light originally. $28

It reminds me a lot of the Garity single LED light (3xxx) so I'm thinking that it may not be that bright.

Is it?

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
The price is $25. Not sure what size batteries it uses, but it looked like it would hold 2AA. The package said batteries installed, but did not list the size. I also looked at the Dorcy model and it was the same price, but it held 3AAA batteries and seemed too bulky. I wish someone would buy the Eddy Bower and test it out. I will be in the market for several flashlights this year for Christmas gifts. I have the Nitestar 1W and 5W, both in the Lithium versions that I ordered from Goldengadgets on ebay. The 5W is amazing. The 1W is amazing for the size, but not enough light for walking at night, but I assume no 1W light would be suitable for that. I have ordered a 3W Nitestar for $40 from Goldengadgets, so I look forward to seeing how bright it is. Goldengadget's service is great, but the shipping is a little high. They did agree to discount shipping if I ordered multiple items $8 1st item and $4 for each additional item.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have just left my local Target and they have 2 different 1 watt lights.They were sold out of the one labeled as a V2 and it sold for 38 dollars I believe.They did have a few left of another 1 watt however it was a little cheaper at 24 dollars I believe.I also could not tell what type batteries this one used but it did appear to maybe be 2-AA.
I am not certain as to what type the V2 is as I only had an empty slot with a label to look at.I have searched a few posts and see a few different styles of the V2 so I am not certain of the one Target has.I believe there are a lot of flashaholics in my area as I checked 2 Targets and both were sold out.Does anyone know exactly which model of the V2 Target is carrying?

Tentou

Newly Enlightened
I think the NiteStar 3W isn't such a bad deal for the price...but it probably reflects the lower bin Luxeons. I'm sure that, for 28 bucks, the Eddie bauer Target lights aren't going to be high binners, either.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I picked up a Dorcy 1W at the local Target as I got back into town yesterday. It's quite an attractive torch and not at all bad for $25 bucks. It's a little chunky, but the output is bright with very nice white beam. Believe it or not, it's actually brighter than my Arc LSH-ST, but not quite as bright as my Longbow Micra.

The batteries fit in a cartridge-like device similar to what is used in the Garrity Aluminium LED light which makes it a handful for a light running on AAA cells, but just think how long this light would be if the batteries were inserted back to back. There is a strobe feature on this light which makes it a bit of an annoyance so just remember to click once for "on" and double click the switch to turn it off. I feel it would have been better had Dorcy left out the strobe feature. I did notice that if you shake the light a bit, you can hear the switch rattle a bit. It might be an annoyance to some, but it doesn't interfere with the function of the. I like the fact that you can stand it on it's tail end and it runs on cheap and easy to find AAA batteries.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the dorcy in the store and was put off by the strobe effect. I mean, If you really need a strobe, just buy one already!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1-watt Eddie Bauer lights looked very nice, but I'm a bit suspicious about the complete absence of any battery information from the packaging. It makes me wonder if it takes some weird battery that no one is going to want (or be able) to buy.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dorcy Disco strobe is a dork. But the constant mode with some write right is very nice. Once I figure out how to take it apart cleanly the strobe effect will dissapear.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The LED-Lenser V2 (1.2 watt Luxeon LED) uses three N cells.
The only thing that really pissed me off about it was the shorter-than-expected battery life.

Let's see if I can get a chart up here...BRB...

v2.gif

This test was just a hair over two hours long, terminated earlier than expected due to equipment failure. But as you can see by the graph, the 50% intensity mark is about ten minutes in; the decline begins to plateau a bit at around the 25 minute mark. When the test terminated about two hours in, the flashlight could be easily stared into, it was that dim.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Extremely ugly runtime curve, IMO. It nosedives immediately after turning the light on....

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
That light lasts about 20-30 minutes with battlepack nimh n cells.
I have been very happy with mine since I got them last January.
Those nimh N cells are driving the poopoo out of them at 1-1.5 amps. (let me see, 4 volts x 1.25 amps = 5 watts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif )

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened
I went to target today and got the Eddie Bauer V2 1 watt light. Look good until I opened the package and found it ran on 3 N cells and only ran brite for 5-7 minutes before the voltage drop within the batteries dropped the output below acceptable levels.

It went back to the store /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really wolfs them down, huh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
They really need nimh N cells to be useful for any length of time over 10 minutes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
A li-ion rechargeable AA may also work if you take out the sleeve from the V2.
More trouble than I would want to deal with though with the li-ion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you're going to buy a 1W LED from Target, walk a few aisles from "sports and outdoors" just past the car section to the aisle with flashlights and pick up the Dorcy 1-watt. LED-Lenser/Coast lights have a nice look, but there are some issues with the execution of the lights (they tend to use odd cell types, aren't usually water-resistant, and often don't put a lens over the optic).

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Hi folks,
I decided to jump on the bandwagon, and picked up both the dorcy 3aa 1watt & the 1 watt v2 eddie bauer. I have to say there not bad lights. 1st , the dorcy I purchased states on the packaging that its output is 30 lumens. Well, I was a bit surprised when i compared it to my "32 lumen" inova Xo. The dorcy is brighter, has good side spill, though it does
have a green tint with a light blue sub-ring to the corona. you folks be the judge.
( range 12ft.)
beamshot dorcy 3aaa 1 watt vs inova Xo "top to bottom.
5cf25146.jpg