yes folks people are stupid

matt_j

Enlightened
Jackhammers.jpg

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it you guys are anti smokers? I started 2 years ago and enjoy it. I only smoke half a pack a day. Heck, my dad smoked from age 14-50 with no problems.

I personally think its hard to say that smoking leads to death. Much like AIDS. Not many people die of aids itself, but like related sicknesses due to reduce immune system. Unless we can get a set of twins one to and one not to smoke, you wont convience me its that bad for you.

On a funny note, I will get a smoke out to lite when I exit a building. Sometimes the line or wait at the elevelator I will just put it in my mouth and its amazing at the folks who cough and what not. I hadnt even lit it, it is just in my mouth.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb,

From reading your other posts I had developed an opinion that you were intelligent and perceptive.

I can only assume, therefore, that your post was cynical in nature and not actually true!!

Bill

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smoking kills 1 in 2 people??? Man, someone should tell that to those who smoke. Heck, I recall seeing several of the nurses who work at my primary docs office on the back porch smoking. That data just has to be wrong, where will they get their customers if half of them die?

Although intelligent and perceptive may describe me, I like to think in real terms as well. For starters, you have no idea how long you will live. Then what you are exposed to. There was a story a while back where these people got lung cancer from butter popcorn and were filing suits against some company.

On that note, think I will go light up a camel and drink another protein shake.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobb, when the cigarrette company themselves have to tell you that it can cause to damage for life, it cant be good for you man Surgeons General Warning . Yes, some people get lucky and live their life smoking without ever getting sick. But is it worth the cough? Is it worth getting tired almost immediatly after starting some slight exercise. Perhaps you dont have that...yet. I do think that the article should be given to Jay Leno for Headlines though! She's just out for a buck, probably hoping for something to be wrong with the baby so that she can sue and get more money for smokes.

How can you say AIDS doesnt lead to death? If you dont have it, you dont die of it. It causes you not to recover from sicknesses. How does that not kill you? With NO AIDS, you no die(from simple complications obviously).

Now, as for the smoke in your mouth, I have never seen someone irritated by seeing that. Personally, I find it kinda nasty, why? I really do not know. Cant you just wait till you get away from people, or outside the building? Or do you need the 'cool' factor there? And I think I am hearing that somewhere, I think in CA, soon you will only be allowed to smoke in your home or in your backyard. No more in public. Thats a little restrictive but doesnt bother me at all.

**No Offense meant by any of that** <--- Disclaimer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Cameron

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Smoking kills 1 in 2 people??? Man, someone should tell that to those who smoke. Heck, I recall seeing several of the nurses who work at my primary docs office on the back porch smoking. That data just has to be wrong, where will they get their customers if half of them die?

Although intelligent and perceptive may describe me, I like to think in real terms as well. For starters, you have no idea how long you will live. Then what you are exposed to. There was a story a while back where these people got lung cancer from butter popcorn and were filing suits against some company.

On that note, think I will go light up a camel and drink another protein shake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have nothing against smokers; they made their choice and most of them are conscious of the risk. For some of them that I know, it's just too hard to quit and others just plain don't care since it won't show for years and it makes them forget about the crap in their life. But it's the first time I see someone who truly doesn't believe smoking cigarretes is addictive and a threat to health.
What kind of proof would convince you?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joking or not, tobacco use does not just cause cancer. Lung diseases are very nasty. I watched my mother die from lung disease. It took a long, long time for her to die. Trust me, you don't want to risk it. If you say that it cannot happen to you, I simply ask, what makes you so darn special?

The really interesting part of lung diseases is that very often the treatment gets to be nearly as nasty in the long run as the ailment. Don't want to use the medications? Fine, get used to not breathing.

Tobacco is probably as additctive as heroin. Very difficult to stop using it. Growing up in a household with smokers didn't do my lungs any good either, for that matter, but after many years of not being in that environment there is improvement.

So, if you want to smoke, it is your right. I just wish it was my right not to be subjected to higher insurance rates and tax rates to subsidize the medical care of self-inflicted misery. And therefore, spoofing or not, don't give me the "it only effects me" crap. Health, economic, and emotional costs are a little bit high from my personal experience. It has to be the absolute dumbest habit to acquire if just because of the damage it does to everyone, not just the smoker.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobb, you missed me in Richmond by just a little over a year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I would have gotten you a tour of the wards of long term smokers at the VA hospital there.

Cancer is the least of your worries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Ask some of those guys what a few years of COPD will do to you. But Richmond is in old tobacco country and while the hype of anti-smoking is overdone, that doesn't mean that it's all wrong.

Enjoy your Camels. Most folks around here have quit smoking so that they can afford more Flashlights!!!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my aunt died recenlty of thrat cancer..and my mom has lung aint sure if smokeing caused it but i stay the hell away from cigerettes

doubleganger

Enlightened
1. a guy told me once that he quit heroin but couldn't quit smoking.

2. My brother who is the most educated person I know and who is incidentally an M.D. told me once that if you smoke you may or may not get cancer but that if you smoke long enough you will definately get emphysema.

coachbigdog

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
I take it you guys are anti smokers? I started 2 years ago and enjoy it. I only smoke half a pack a day. Heck, my dad smoked from age 14-50 with no problems.

I personally think its hard to say that smoking leads to death. Much like AIDS. Not many people die of aids itself, but like related sicknesses due to reduce immune system. Unless we can get a set of twins one to and one not to smoke, you wont convience me its that bad for you.

On a funny note, I will get a smoke out to lite when I exit a building. Sometimes the line or wait at the elevelator I will just put it in my mouth and its amazing at the folks who cough and what not. I hadnt even lit it, it is just in my mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.Is that why all the people dying of lung cancer decided to sue the tobacco companies? It's no an opinion,it's a FACT that smoking causes lung cancer.Just because a few smoke an live a long time doesn't mean the majority do.You need to look at the lungs of dead people who have smoked for years.It's not pretty!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I think it is more heredity and the environment. They pulled my anabolic steroids off the shelves. I do not recall anyone dying from them, but do from abusing diet pills.

I think what makes me special is that my family has some smokers and none of them has died from smoking. Although I guess once you take a puff, that will be the offical cause of death when you die?

Its not a cool factor, its like hitting the reset button on stress. You ought to try it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hey, that women has done it for 20 years with no ill effects and her kid is still kicking and they have a name picked out for him.

Naw, thats are right. I made my decision. Some may say the cell phone is the cigarrette of the 21st century. Wonder how many people get brain cancer or will get it before they die from making a phone call?

matt_j

Enlightened
I think the point is the smoking when you are pregnant... Anything else is just a filler... Whatever your issues are about smoking it is fine... But give somebody who can't make choices for themselves yet a chance.