Tri-Star Phazer?

svp07

Newly Enlightened
Could the Tri-Star be modified to use 5w luxeons...360 lumen of power? Guess you'd have to change the power source also. Can you go with 123s?

Anybody use the rechargable 123s at JSBurlys.com, are they any good?

rookie

Enlightened
Possibly, but remember, the 5w puts out a lot of heat. The head of the light would be superhot in a few moments and you won't be able to hold on to it. All the 3x5w mods done before all had trouble with the heat dissipation. You could only use it for a few moments, some even less than a minute.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat is the limitation. Ask Wayne. He will explain.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I agree on the heat problem.

Also the led's in the tri-star phaser are rather close to the polycabonate cap/lens and those three plastic seperators.

I'm not certain as to the LED heat exposure as Incondscent bulbs on large flashlights such as the 6d cell maglites tend to sometimes warp the lens, or at least the lens/cap
tends to get aged rather quickly and fog (opaque)or yellow. Paticularly with the xenon bulbs.

Granted LED light is far closes to natural sunlight.

I'm not aware of any tests on this (as yet).

Feel free the comment.

Also I'm not certain if the driving circuitry on the production modele tri-star phaser would be able to support
5watt bulbs.

Thanks for the chat.

svp07

Newly Enlightened
Would it help if the head diameter was larger. Just throwing things out there. I am a newbie and don't know much about the mods yet, but am very interested. I think the light from a 3x5w would be close to amazing.

Anyone every try that reverse light/reflector thing from Pelican (I think)...its set up like a lighthouse light....cool concept.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only one I know of like that is the Lightwave Infiniton series, which has the LED mounted on the lens, and then shines the light into the reflector, which casts it back out. Craig has a review on it, if you want to look it up.