Dish Network vs DirecTV?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
DirecTV with DVR by TiVo. The best thing I ever bought that uses electricity. The Dish DVR sucks by comparison. You'll *never* go back to cable, it's just one of those things. Like trying to go back to dial up after you taste broadband.

Try a search here on "TiVo".

Peter

tech

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about the DVR, but I've been very happy with DishNetwork. Prices are the same, channels are as well for the most part, though I think Dish has better channels... better music channels.
The one thing I really prefer Dish for is the channel guide... I think it is much easier to use than the Direct one....
In the end, I think this is one of those issues where you mileage may vary.
Again, I don't have DVR... just Dish.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I got screwed by Direct TV! I prepaid a year, for a rebate on the equipment, and halfway through that year, they wanted more money or they would delete 7 movie channnels. (Starz, I think.) They were class-actioned-settled and I got a small refund check in the mail. I hold a grudge and my next pick-up truck wasn't a Hughes/GM/Direct TV product! What's more, GM has lost any of my business forever! (I really hate being ripped-off!) If you're into "minimum" cable- History/SciFi/TLC/A&E/CNN/... Dish is a much better deal! I think it's abt $23/month if you choose to pay annually.
(End rant! FU GM!)

Larry

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I tried 3 times to get Dish Network to hook me up.The last time they said they would be here between 8am-12am.At 4:30pm the guy calls me to say he's running a LITTLE LATE!No, calling at 12:30 or 1:00 you can say your a little late.At four and a half hour later,you are VERY late!Then I call them and nicely say to please not call me back since this was the 3rd time trying to get service.Well,they call me THREE MORE times after that!Went with Direct.They gave me a time,came on time,the FIRST time.Just my experience,but I will NEVER recommend the Dish! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two services are very similar in channel lineup and cost, except DTV has the edge on sports, particularly football. Dish Network is a little bit cheaper.

In the end I made my decision based on the TiVo powered DVR available only with DTV. The Dish DVR is OK, but the TiVo unit is far superior. Whichever service you go with, be sure to get a DVR. It will forever change the way you watch TV.

Peter