Thinking about C8 eLED vs LC100

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the UK C8 eLED as a viable light for night dives. I already own a Light Cannon 100, but I'm a bit of a klutz, especially when getting in and out of the water. So far, only light knocks were suffered by my LC100, but the big one can't be far away and that might blow out that expensive HID lamp.

So I'm considered the solid state alternative. However, there will be a huge hit in brightness, going from about 500 lumens to a mere 130 lumens (more like 100 lm nominal I'm guessing).

Has anyone had experience with the C8 eLED either in night dives or even just playing with it on dry land comparing it to other known flashlights (especially a shoot out against the LC100)? Is the beam bright enough for night dives? Is it well focused? How bright is the "low" mode? Does it look really incongruous having such a huge flashlight body with only the output of a 5W LS? How does it compare to the normal C8 incandescent?

These and many more questions to help me decide! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually, I'll probably just get it anyway, but I'm trying to decide if I'll be disappointed, or if it will end up collecting dust because it just doesn't hold up against the LC100 even though the extra robustness will give me more peace of mind to use it, or if I'll actually be delighted with it.

Thanks in advance.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
The C8 eLED is a fine dive light. No, it doesn't compare to the LC in output, but I know quite a few poeple that think the LC is too bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Out of water it is not as bright as the C8 incan, but in the water the whiter color and better penetration makes it superior to the incan (IMO).

The beam is not as smooth as the LC (could use some texturing on the reflector), and it has a lot less spill than either the LC or the incan version. This can be either good or bad, depending on conditions. In clear water lots of spill is nice, but in murky water the C8 eLED still has good penetration without a lot of distracting backscatter glare (which can be blinding with the LC).

It is very easy on batteries, and won't have start up problems when your batteries get a little weak.

Bottom line, if you find yourself wishing your LC was a bit brighter you will be dissappointed in the C8 eLED. But if you find the LC to be too bright at times and could live with a little less then you will probably be happy with the C8 eLED.

I have also used the C4 eLED. It is actually the same module, but runs in unregulated DD mode on high in the smaller C4 body. I use the eLED module in the C4 body as a back up to the LC. It's not quite as bright in the 4 cell body, but it is still a very nice dive light.

Aloha, iG

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bright?? How can anything be too bright? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Actually, I understand what you're saying. That's why I'm looking at the C8. Full and half power modes would be sweet in case what I'm looking at reflects too much. If the C8 runs at full 5W spec, that would make it brighter than the L4. And if it is well focused that would make it nearly perfect (for what is available now). That's why I was looking around for beam shots.

As an aside... guess how much the local bricks and mortar dive shop wants for a C8?

AU$285!!! I could get that, plus the mini Q40 eLED plus shipping, plus some other fees and it still wouldn't hit $285! *sigh*