Surefire L2 Lumens

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Oh well, when I first learned that the L2's lumens rating suddenly changed to 100 lumens instead of 65 lumens a few weeks back, I felt rather bad as its was only a week or so after I just bought a L2 that time. So I sent an email to Surefire to rant a bit and hopefully get some answers. I just received an email reply from Surefire, albeit a bit late. This is their reply:

"Do not feel disappointed. Your current L2 is 100 Lumens as well. The 65 lumen rating was an estimation. We recently received a new measuring device specifically for LED lights and the L2 performs at 100 lumens. There has been no change to the light. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to write back or call us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service and welcome future inquires or comments.

Surefire Technical Support
1-800-828-8809
714-545-9444
714-545-9537 (Fax)"

It seems to conclude that all L2s are rated at 100 Lumens. Sounds reasonable IMHO, because the L2 is a new model and its not even a year old, right? So if the earlier L2s are 65 Lumens and they really made some 100 Lumens L2s, that will mean a different circuit or sorts is used and its unlikely they put them into a current model which in the first place, is still relatively new. Rather, it makes more sense that they would probably label it as another new model with a different price tag. IMHO.

What do you guys think?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. I didn't know Surefire has a counselling service for distressed flashaholics, they should have referred me to them when I was kinda upset over my two 9V lamps not having the legendary beam quality SF is supposed to have. Apparently what I was expecting may have been out of line.

They may be right, I was reading something about integrating spheres taking into account not just all light emitted in all directions, but across the entire visible spectrum. LEDs would thus rate lower because they do not emit a continuous spectrum.

SF also continually enhances the product, so early adopters may not get the latest fixes. The KL1 has also received a lot of upgrades, from low dome to high dome, scalloped bezel and now the new bezel. The light output's increased a lot, but earlier KL1 adopters likely just live with what they have, or mod them. I'm a fairly late buyer of the KL1, I got virtually everything except the new style bezel.

Anyway, just enjoy the light. If it's not enough, sell it or mod it and buy the U2 when it comes out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
I believe the L2 runs at a higher current then the L4, which also explains the difference in runtimes between the two lights.
But i'm not 100% about this.

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
maybe with the new measuring device specifically for LED lights the L4 could be 100 lumens too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
So why did they also change the runtime? Surely that didn't take a new measuring device to figure out.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I got approximately 40 minutes of regulation in "high", then it drops like somebody slammed the toliet seat on its head.

This test was performed on 06-02-04; the unit itself was received on 06-01-04.
Date of manufacture was probably sometime in May 2004, making my L2 at least four months old as of this writing.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
You got a point Kelvin on the KL heads part. I think the best way to confirm is to test the L2's runtime on a fresh set of batteries. But I tend to trust Surefire's email anyway.

You might want to tell them about your P90s, perhaps they might start their line with "Do not be disappointed..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first P90 blew immediately when I fired it up for the first time, fresh out of the bag. They said "A new lamp is on it's way." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Lamps are not supposed to be their problem, but they took care of it anyway. I'll definitely buy from them again.

PS: Albert, in theory, if their regulator puts out full 700mA, you would be able to get 200+ lumens (measured at the LED) from an X-bin LED. Once you factor in heating, reflector losses, window losses through the Pyrex, and all the nonsense, you might get less... but it's still a lot of light. Knowing SF, 100 lumens being conservative is probably a minimum, or at least lower-end-of-the-scale measurement, so I don't doubt there are a few running around out there with higher-than-spec ratings.

The KL1 has to take the award for "most underrated light" though.. NO WAY that thing puts out 15 lumens.