Transmission coolers

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
any one have any thoughts on brands, types (i.e. stack, tube, perma-cool type)sizes on transmission coolers? You guys like them or dislike them? How about the same for engine oil coolers ?

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends if you really need one. Me personally I've found that either they do their job or they don't. But if your not going to carry a load or do any pulling you probably don't need one. If you are pulling say a camper, I think it's better to choose the right vehicle in the first place. Cooling an s-10 will never be as good as an uncooled F-250. Just my thoughts.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I am still on the fence eather way, thats kinda why i am asking for thoughts. The car I am thinking of adding a cooler to is a buick regal GS. it's a transaxle thats allready run hot and I would like to tow a jet ski with it.
I have a jeep and an s-10 and both have coolers on them but they also have towed to their limits as well. infact the jeep has towed one s-10 I used to own.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could simply just add the cooler anyhow. Since most don't cost that much(compared to a burnt up tranny). Pulling a jet-ski shouldn't be much of a problem.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most cars have a **** poor one that runs through the radiator. So, if you over heat your car, you have messed up your tranny. Unless you are a sunday driver you need an aux cooler. If you tranny oil smells burnt or has settles out into a tar like resudue that is a sure sign, next to slipping and rougher shifts.

I have a relative that stumps the gas petal in his chevy k1500 till he reaches the speed limit. He charged his tranny fluid at 15k miles and saw it was burnt. He added a tranny cooler inline with the one already in the car. He hook the line fromthe tranny to the cooler line which he mounted in front of the radiator then had the fluid go through the **** poor one that is in your car then that to the tranny. This way, when its cold out the fluid is broght up to temperature for smooth operation.

Even if you can not mount it to get air flow, having it helps to remove some heat at any location under the hood.

I have no thought on the engine oil cooler. If you car over heats and you do not want to go to upgrading your cooling system, electric or high volume fans, larger radiator, it is an alternative to make it run cooler, or not over heat i should say.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
Thanks I ordered a perma-cool brand cooler.

One thought, all of the instructions have the pisspoor factory trans cooler feeding into the aftermarket cooler then to the transmission. other wise you reheat the oil back to 200+ f before it goes to the transmission?
My buick runs the coolent to allmost 220f is when the fan turns on. From the rateings I see for transfluid over 190-200 is too hot. it would be intersting to monitor the temp for both ways to hook up.
I know my jeep is like that and I belive my s-10 is as well, I will check on that.

Thanks agen for the info

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
A transmission cooler is one of the things that you can't buy too big of. I have read up and a lot of people say to keep it inline with the stock cooler and a lot say top bypass it. I'm going to bypass my stock cooler and locate my transmission cooler under the radiator between the frame rails to prevent the heat from the transmission from just passing back into the radiator.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The addition of dumping this heat into the radiators usually will not amount to anything you can measure. The worse part is to mount it somewhere and it gets cakes up with crud and does nothing and you have no backup. Heat ruins stuff, mechanical or electrical or solid state.

The one my relative had was one you can buy at any auto store. I swear it said to run it from the tranny to the **** poor one in your car then back to the tranny. The reason was if it worked too well, your tranny would have cold fluid in it and not shift as smooth as it will with warmer fluid. So the water radiator warmed or brought the fluid up to temp. If you car over heated I think you are still SOL unless you remove the stock cooler.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read up on the cold fluid thing. If you live in Alaska its possible to have too cold of transmission fluid but thats about the only place.