Nuwai QIII or Longbow Micra: Decided!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really jones'in for a 1x123 luxeon...both of these look great, with a very nice price. i have read all i can find on both. they BOTH look wonderful!
no...i cannot buy both!

which would you get, and why?

though i like the longbow's slightly smaller size, and ability to change optics, i like the Q3's use of a reflector, slightly more efficient regulator and (i think) clip. admittedly leaning toward the Q3.

i certainly like a beam with some spill--no pencil beams for me.

what sayeth the CPF crew?

see my new post below!

Bob

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nuwai QIII or Longbow Micra?

i havent seen the nuwai but i can reccommend the micra - they are a lovely light
the only real problem is that once the batteries start to die then they sometimes need a bit of a break before they will restart (mine does anyway) - other than that they are a great light - mine is always in a pouch over my right hip

Wildcat

Enlightened

I'd go for the Longbow. Ease of modding and plenty of "accessories". Drop a 17mm reflector in the Longbow and your good to go.

AK

Newly Enlightened

Buy both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, having owned both lights (traded the Nuwai) I would go with the LongBow. Better fit and finish, lots of accessories (2xAA tube, clickie and twiste, turbo head, etc.) and good mod potential (you can roll your own McCapsule if you like), replaceable lens, etc. etc.

If you get a LB, definitely get a reflector and UCL for it from Flashlightlens.com. Note that the UCL is thicker than the stock lens; I put an o-ring in the gap in the bezel that results from the extra thickness.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

The Q-III uses a 3W emitter... (almost) always a bonus.

But I have used neither, so /peanut gallery.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
The Q-III uses a 3W emitter... (almost) always a bonus.

But I have used neither, so /peanut gallery.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i have had great luck with the lux3.

no peanut gallery about it--your input is greatly appreciated.

darn tough decisions...but a fun one to have to make! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob

Flashlight Enthusiast

The other problem with the Longbow circuit is runtime. Not one of my Longbow Micras is going the full 1.5 hours at regulation. In fact, my worst Micra (the one with the Cat urine green tint) is lucky to hit 30 minutes in regulation--part of the problem might be that its much brighter than my other Micras, perhaps the regulator circuit in this Micra is cranked up too much? My other two Micras with whiter tint give me about an hour of regulation, but not the advertised 1.5 hours.

In contrast, my Arc LSH series (company is bye bye unfortunately) generally gives me LONGER than the factory states. My most efficient Arc LSH has given me over 3 hours of regulation when used intermitently--even though the factory only rated them at 2 hours.

Back to the Micra, I love the fit and finish, and the ergonomics. I do think they need to change the regulator circuit to something more efficient though (one that runs longer and doesn't need breaks to restart). The other change I'd like to see is switching to reflectors. Yes, we can easily add them ourselves (as I did), but IMO a light in this cost range should come with reflector standard. My final nit to pick is the tint quality control, there is no excuse for allowing cat urine green tints in a $80 flashlight.

Even with all this said, I think the Longbow is a very nice light for its price. Its currently the only light its size at this price range that can (at least to some degree) replace the Arc LSH series.

Catman10

Enlightened

I have both and am a big fan of both. I would have to recommend the Micra, because:
-It is easy to order a ucl and reflector to drop in
-It is higher quality (IMO), better feel
-It's waterproof
-It looks better (IMO)
-If you decide to upgrade, you can order a McCapsule and PR Head
So, those are my thoughts. It may be hard to tell, but I really do think that the QIII is great as well. Either way you'll be happy.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

I only have the Nuwaii. I like it a lot. Mine is bright, white and seems to run a long time.
It is my second Luxeon light. I also have a Nuwaii 3x123 5W with 2 stage switch . It is not as nice as the QIII.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have either, but the Nuwai was substantially cheaper at the last group buy (like $40 shipped airmail vs. about $70 shipped for the lowbow). If you're not in a hurry, you might hold out and wait for more QIII's or another group buy to show up.

MichiganMan

Enlightened

I'm looking for an ARC replacement for work purposes. Strongly considering a Surefire L4, (damn shame that internet dealers can't advertise deal prices, so I don't know which of the CPF advertisers I should purchase from...ahem) but the Longbow intrigues me (I know, big time apples and oranges, but the respective strong points of each seems to equal them out in my judgement, IOW, I could settle for either)

My question is, where can I find a good review of the Longbows? I need Craig or Quickbeam to ok my big purchases. (ok, its a shallow existance, but its mine...)

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened

I have both. The LB has the mod potential but it just doesn't do it for me. The Nuwaii has a much better handfeel and more positive grip. Much cooler machining in my opinion and much brighter and better beam than the stock Micra. On the other hand, the ano is type II so it doesn't wear as well. Still, it is currently my second favorite light next to my AA TNC.

albert

Enlightened

I would suggest the Micra if you have the intention to modify it. If not, the QIII will serve you just as fine.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cones said he was able to take his QIII apart pretty easily by putting it in a baggie and boiling it for 5 minutes. Don't know if that's acceptable to everyone, but the innards looked pretty moddable after that.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

As the others have said, you're comparing apples and oranges here - the Longbow lights currently offer 1W configurations, though a 5W may be coming soon in the Longbow Max, but are very configurable. The Quantum III is a simple light, simply designed with one function - to have medium throw and spill, without the interchangeability of the Longbow.

I wouldn't QUITE call the Quantum III regulated though - it goes well for the first hour or so, then the light starts tapering off for an hour afterwards... which is not a typical regulated light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It is, however, very damned bright and cheap as borscht - in a good way.

The Longbow's for if you want to mod the light to hell and gone, without having to boil your flashlight in a plastic bag to loosen the Loctite or whatever fastening agent keeps it held together. You can swap out most things in it easily, and the circuit is designed to handle anything from 1x123 to AA batteries.

If you want a lot of light, some spill and easy operation, get the Quantum III. If you want to mod the heck out of the light without doing too much work, try the Longbow.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
Cones said he was able to take his QIII apart pretty easily by putting it in a baggie and boiling it for 5 minutes. Don't know if that's acceptable to everyone, but the innards looked pretty moddable after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can swap out the emitter, as 4sevens has done, and polish the reflector to get better throw... but that's quite a bit of work, compared to just swapping out modules like with a Longbow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Me? I'd just jump to the Aleph with a 1x123 or 1x17500 tube and an Aleph 2 head, if I wanted a easily moddable, really nice solution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

*waits for the postman*