What to do with CR123s after my L4 goes lowmode?

ReynolS

Newly Enlightened
I got my Surefire L4 for the lots and lots of light it puts out, and for that purpose only. So, when it goes into "Lowmode", what can I do with the CR123s as I want to keep fresh CR123s in the L4 for maximum brightness. Since the CR123s still have some juice in them, I don't want to just toss them in the trash, but would like to put them in another LED flashlight that can give me more use out of them.

Can anyone give me recomendations on a second flashlight that can handle these used CR123s? I don't need lots of light output, that's what the L4 is for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, just something that can be used for reading a book at night, and maximum runtime is what I would like. Doesn't matter much if it uses 2xCR123s or just one--but would prefer just one for the smaller package.

I'm currently looking at an Inova or Peak's 1 LED 5mm model, but don't know how they will perform. Anyone have any comments?

Thanks!
Scott R.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: What to do with CR123s after my L4 goes lowmod

I just wanted to say ... throw them in the trash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif ... but since you won't want to do this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... Peak McKinley should be nice ... or an Opalec ...
bernhard

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened

My surefires eat up CR123s pretty quick, so I bought an Inova X5 from CountyComm to drain the used batts. The drained batts give off alot of usable light in the X5.

HTH
Dave

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

The Inova X5T is the usual response to your question.

The Inova X5T with red LEDs uses one 123.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened

Another vote for the x5. It's perfect for reading at night. After an hour of so in my Surefires, those cells will provide plenty of usefull light for many additional hrs.

ReynolS

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the ideas. And in true CPF manner, I'll get BOTH the Inova X5 and the Peak McKinley /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Scott R.

MrMom

Enlightened

How about eliminating that problem all together. Order some Pila rechargables from JonSidneyB here on CPF. I use them in the SF L4 and L5. Instead of filling the trash, fill the charger and use them again. Top them off as needed. While camping I recharge them off of a small inverter which is plugged into a 12V accessory jack. One charger is kept in my vehicle at all times and the other is at home. I have been known to recharge a cell while shopping by popping one in the vehicle charger and by the time I am done, I have a fresh cell. My L4 has been used 2-4 hours a week for a year now and the batteries are still going strong.

The much awaited for LionHeart has been designed by MrBulk to run on the Pilas exclusively...and this is his most exclusive light.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Here's another vote for the X5. It's got amazing output with "dead" batteries.

stockae92

Enlightened

X5T HA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it a good idea to throw those away? Arent those suppose to be recycled???

What about machinging an extension to the light body to run more than the stock number of cells to give the voltage for usable light?

Just an idea.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've read that 2 cell lights will do a better job of draining low cells than single celled lights. Along with the X5T you might consider the Nightcutter Sport which has 3 or 5 leds in green or white, depending on which head is on the body.

Has anyone mentioned the Milky Candle yet?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Stick one in a VIP. Will proably run an hour on medium mode.

Bill

tracker870

Enlightened

Many on this forum seem to have great ideas.
Now here's another one I need to go investigate!
Never even thought of using up the "low" bats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

chumley

Enlightened

I used to put used cells in my Arc LS2 to finish them off. I maybe got 10 to 15 minutes runtime until moon mode.

StEaLtH_

Enlightened

Yet another vote for the Inova X5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
tracker870 said:
Many on this forum seem to have great ideas.
Now here's another one I need to go investigate!
Never even thought of using up the "low" bats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
A few months ago This Thread covered quite a bit of ground on running down different sized cells and which lights folks liked to use.

ReynolS

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
I've read that 2 cell lights will do a better job of draining low cells than single celled lights ....

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm.. interesting. That might change my plans a little bit. As these CR123s aren't exactly a dime a dozzen (I wish!) I want to make sure I get as much out of them as possible.

Would a red Inova X5 make a difference in run times?

Scott R.

ReynolS

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
A few months ago This Thread covered quite a bit of ground on running down different sized cells and which lights folks liked to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, interesting thread. I've definitely got some more reading to do. Thanks!