LED Hall of Fame

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Perhaps it's time to name those lights that we've known and loved but are no longer in production. I can think of a few. Please chime in with any additions to the list.

1. All Arc products
2. CMG Infinity
3. CMG Ultra G
4. Photon 3

I'm not sure about the Ultra G and Photon being out of production, but I think so.

Geoff

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume you mean groundbreaking lights.

Why limit it to lights no longer in production?

FWIW, I think it should be the Photon 1, not Photon 3. The original Photon was a ground breaking light.

I'm not sure why you included the Ultra G. It seems the Infinity covers it.

Add:

HDS Actionlight

Opalec Newbeam

Probably some SF lights in there. Hard to pick tho. KL1, A2, L1, L4/L5? Hmm.

Lightwave or Tektite or, um? What is the deal with these critters? Are they the same or, um? In any case, the first one of these plastic critters was a landmark.

Eternallight

LEDCorp PR bulb

Some headlamp. Um, who was first, Tikka or Aurora?

Glo-toob?

-john

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brinkman Longlife LED - One of the first consumer lights of its type.

Have to agree that Photon I was the ground breaker. Scratch the 3 off the list. Ditto the Ultra-G. Actually ditto everything John N said.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:Some headlamp. Um, who was first, Tikka or Aurora?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tikka.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Lambda's Illuminator (Ill) Pill.....the first drop-in LS pill for the AA MiniMag....came out in the Spring of 2002 as I remember.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

Lightwave or Tektite or, um? What is the deal with these critters? Are they the same or, um? In any case, the first one of these plastic critters was a landmark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those brands are quite distinct in appearance. It's the Trek/Expedition/CCrane/Tektite lights that are all the same design--a plastic body, plastic bezel and lens, and twist-on operation. The Lightwave lights have a rubberized plastic body with exposed LEDs and a pushbutton switch.

JJHitt

Enlightened
LW 2000 -- still in production and available, but a perfect example of the "primitive elegance" of early LED flashlights.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Pelican for having a lifetime guarantee that ".... does NOT cover sharkbite, bear attack or children under 5." Gotta love their sence of humor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If I remember correctly, the Photon 1 was a momentary, squeeze-on flashlight. The Photon II has a slide switch to allow for continuous operation.

So I'd throw in my vote for the Photon II, as it is very common - maybe the first LED flashlight that became common to find on people's keychains.

The Lightwave 2000 has a twist-bezel switch, rather than a pushbutton like more modern variations of Lightwave products have.

Arc, for producing AAA LED flashlights and Luxeon Star LED flashlights before anybody else.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
If I remember correctly, the Photon 1 was a momentary, squeeze-on flashlight. The Photon II has a slide switch to allow for continuous operation.

So I'd throw in my vote for the Photon II, as it is very common - maybe the first LED flashlight that became common to find on people's keychains.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct Craig, the Photon 1 was a sqeeze-on momentary-contact light. And I second your vote for the Photon II.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

I assume you mean groundbreaking lights.

Why limit it to lights no longer in production?

FWIW, I think it should be the Photon 1, not Photon 3. The original Photon was a ground breaking light.

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

Photon III, first flashlight with microcontroller/microprocessor controller, and multiple output levels with strobe and SOS. Got mine in 2002.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:Photon III, first flashlight with microcontroller/microprocessor controller, and multiple output levels with strobe and SOS. Got mine in 2002.

[/ QUOTE ]

that honor goes to the original eternalight. received version 1 as a gift in 2000. eternalight was originally released in 1998. has a bank of IC controlled LED's. it can dimm, strobe, multiple switching option etc.

1. world first handheld IC controlled LED flashlight: enternalight.

2. World's first production AAA LED light: ARC AAA.

3. World's first production Luxeon light: ARC LS first run

4. World's first Luxeon module: Lamad's ill pill

5. I know it's not a light, but dat2zip's ground breaking board designs should be on this list.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:Photon III, first flashlight with microcontroller/microprocessor controller, and multiple output levels with strobe and SOS. Got mine in 2002.

[/ QUOTE ]

that honor goes to the original eternalight. received version 1 as a gift in 2000. eternalight was originally released in 1998. has a bank of IC controlled LED's. it can dimm, strobe, multiple switching option etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, how about the first mass market available microcontroller light? (Bi-Mart had Photon III a year ago)