**ARC 5 body and HDS Systems led and internals**

oldtimer

Enlightened
Re: **ARC 5 body and HDS Systems led and internals

It was never out but I assume that it would be the same as the Arc4+ with the exception of the logo.

sithjedi333

Enlightened

I like the HDS body better. More knurling and a protected tailswitch. But overall they look quite similar I think.

nonbox

Banned

ARC 5 body is slightly smaller than the ARC 4 body but looks the same.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ergonomically, the HDS look's more useable to me. that coke bottle shape in the waist I bet fit's your hand better, weather your grip it like a cigar or in the palm with your index and thumb(IMHO of course). VDG

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since the Arc4's designer is making the HDS lights, I guess we can say they are essentially the same lights with different names.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
NonBox,

The EDC Ultimate is the finished version of the Arc5. I did the initial design work for what would have been the Arc5 during the development of the Arc4. The primary difference is in the emitter that is being used. It was obvious that the "1W" emitter could not be forced to produce 60+ lumens on the available power budget. However, calculations and limited bench testing showed that the "5W" emitter could produce the 60+ lumens on the available power budget. The problem with the "5W" emitter was the optics - a problem to be solved after the release of the Acr4.

After we terminated the Arc license, we continued the development project under the new name of EDC Ultimate. After extensive development and testing, we were able to generate the required output including the desired beam pattern from the available power budget using a "3W" emitter. This production decision was publicly announced a few months ago in a different thread. The power supply required a complete redesign to accommodate the required efficiencies. Other improvements have also been incorporated in the new design.

Henry.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The specification for the Arc5 I provided to Henry was changed after he quit.

As you know, Arc went out of business though. So, the Arc5 is sadly not to be. But I can tell you what was planned.

The new spec called for a Lux1/III with an improved power supply capable of close to 90% efficiency at over 1 ampere to the LED. This was a result of increasing inductor capacity, changing to a more efficient topology and using a "new method" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The housing was to be a smaller diameter equal or less to the diameter of the LSH. The optic was a snap-in plastic reflector that would be user serviceable. The Arc5 also was slated to incorporate the new software features (the power management routines were being changed to work with the new buck/boost) and the new rev3 switch design. The rev3 switch design was tested publicly in the Arc forum and shown to be able to withstand quite a bit of abuse, even without the help of a protective shroud (those shrouds interfere with the easy operation of the switch in my opinion). The voltage range of the new power supply was 0.5 to 6.5 volts. This increased range was mostly for improving the safety margin with dead cells but it also could have been used with single cell alkaline configurations. The programming interface was greatly simplified which help increase the amount of internal area that could be devoted to increased efficiency. Projected specs:

Arc5 Q1/2005
-----------
Continuing the Arc leadership in 1x123 LED
50+ lumens
1x123 form factor
.950" diameter x 3" long
~2.5 ounces w/batt
100ft water depth
user serviceable .690 reflector
user serviceable Polycarbonate window
0.5-6.5 volts input range
Unhidden and shrouded button designs
Beam similar to that produced by good 690 reflector and 1w die
Advanced tint management w/closed loop calibration (licensed from patent holder)
New dazzle mode possible with output disconnect capability
High strength CF Aluminum
Field upgradeable software, window, switch treatment, pack, reflector
Modular LED bay for early adoption of new power LEDs from other manufacturers

The new investor agreed to finance our own machining if we did a deal. One of the cool things we could do with our own machining was make limited titanium versions of our most popular products. So a titanium Arc5 was definately in the cards. Other than being a cool metal (whatever), the titanium made the product more rugged. Further testing would have probably ruled out the need for any coatings. I wanted to use one of the harder alloys of titanium that didn't get scratched up to easy (like the '14 alloy I used in making our wedding rings). In a way, you could say I have been test edc'ing the alloy I wanted to use for several years now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We're talking limited run for those though. That hard of an alloy can take hours to machine just one part. But since the machine would have been paid for, letting it run all night was gravy. Such a light would cost over $1000 likely. The CF aluminum Arc5s would be more "down to earth". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The 5watt LED could have appeared in a later model if the optical limitations were fixed.

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic

I thought titanium was a poor heat conductor, not so good for a high-powered LED light.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is not as good as say aluminum. But the total system can manage the heat. Also, the HA finish (an insulator) may not be needed which would improve conduction to the hand (which is the largest nearby heatsink) by some degree.

Peter

KingSmono

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
The rev3 switch design was tested publicly in the Arc forum and shown to be able to withstand quite a bit of abuse, even without the help of a protective shroud (those shrouds interfere with the easy operation of the switch in my opinion).

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the exposed switch too... I don't know how many times I used the Arc4 by holding it with my teeth, around the soft rubber tail-switch, so that my hands were free! I'm no expert, but I don't think I'd like a mouthfull of rough, knurled HA3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't remember if this has been asked before, but does the HDS flashlights use optics or reflector? I see in the owner's posts he keeps referring to optics. IME, optics do NOT produce good beam quality. I hope that is a slip up in typing, and that the Basic and Ultimate are NOT using optics?

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Similiar but not the same, Billson.
Henry has his own changes and lives on unlike Arc.
I for one, want a brand new state of the art mini light. HDS is making these so they get the order. Making hitech devices as cool as these minilights is no small trick.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Henry pointed out here, and to me on the ph that the HDS's sw has a VERY short travel, can be operated with winter glove's on, (pretty "fluid" thinking really, to think to test it for use in that kinda capacity)and still be fully shrouded. In my experinance with hardware, tool's, etc, anything protruding that is not hard as the rest of the unit, is subject to murphy's law, for example,, A ATA anvil road case can be bought with resessed or surface latch's,no one I know in the music/theater/travel industry use the surface latch's. Inveritably something get's run up acrossed it, or dropped on it and no more latch. if it works as advertised,The HDS is a much safer, problem free design IMHO. VDG

Trev1960

Newly Enlightened

Yep VDG, I am confident that Henry knows what he is doing and is the real deal.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Trev1960 said:
Yep VDG, I am confident that Henry knows what he is doing and is the real deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! I am too, i ordered a basic yesterday, and then maybe at Christmas time, ask for a ultimate. I think most are going to probably get the ultimate and If that's the case, my thinking is since i want two HDS's anyway maybe the wait is shorter for a basic, then i can get that 60 lumen monster a little later. I will most likely carry the ultimate and then keep the basic in my roadcase I have for touring. That way I will not be without one If i forget to grab my ultimate from home! If the wait is not any different for ultimate I may change my order to a ULT. Henry, any idea how the pre-order's are as far as most popular? VDG