Super X1: brighter, whiter, cooler

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Inova X1 is just like its big X5 brother---well built, and as strong as a tank.

However, the tiny single 5mm Nichia is just not powerful enough and not white enough for our flasholics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So, time for a serious upgrade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

First, the light was disassembled by our famous freeze-and-pop method.

Parts.jpg

When I looked at the converter board, I was happy to find that it was actually a well built ZLT circuit, and the parts selection was quite respectable.

Board.jpg

Board2.jpg

board3.jpg

There are a few things that need to be changed before pushing the board for higher current output:

1)The board does not have an input capacitor. While this is certainly OK for a low-power unit like the stock X1, it is unacceptable for a high-power light, because the extra resistance in the ground path will seriously limit the maximum current, lower the efficiency of the board, and set off lots of RF emission.

2) The output cap is too small. From the size of the capacitor, I guess it's no more than the 2.2uF minimum requirement suggested in the Zetex datasheet.

Luckily there is lots of extra space on the board, so I added an extra 10uF output capacitor, and added an input capacitor (two 10uF in parallel).

board4.jpg

The sense resistor was reduced from the stock 0.39ohm to 0.022ohm. One could also just use a "loop" of magnet wire as the sense resistor.

LS.jpg

A TWOL Lux III (yes, that's my prize from the Class 4 entry) was mounted on a crude brass heat sink---3 brass washers were soldered together with two holes drilled through them for the leads. The OD of the washers was reduced by grinding until it fit the ID of the brass part in the X1 head. I used a spring with ~12mm diameter to push the LS assembly against the reflector (see below).

The optic solution was a big headache. I couldn't find a 12mm diameter reflector, and when I ground a NX05 down to 12mm, the centre lens fell out, and the stock cover lens (a magnifying glass) only magnified the empty hole in the middle, instead of the yellow phosphor. Eventually I used something the size of a Mag Solitaire reflector, and let the stock reflector push it down against the LS assembly.

front.jpg

The spring for the (+) battery contact has too much resistance, so a bypass wire was soldered across it.

spring.jpg

I cheated a little in the re-assembly: Instead of using a true press-fit (which I don't have the tools to do), I simply enlarged the opening of the battery tube by scraping and sanding, and added a little bit of epoxy when doing the final assembling. It worked out well.

Now fire it up (against a stock Arc AAA)

X1-AAA.jpg

X1-AAA2.jpg

X1-AAA3.jpg

The modded X1 has ~500mA battery draw, which translates to ~150mA through the LS. The beam pretty much retained the "spotlight" pattern of the stock X1, which means you get a round, bright, almost even beam, with a small amount of side spill. The brightness isn't bad for its size and power level. I find the light very useful, and the solid construction of the Inova light certainly adds a sense of durability to the light.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

You going to make anymore of these? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing LEDASAP, very informative! This reminds me of the CMG infinity mods. I enjoy your mods very much.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! What a difference! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Britt

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Thanks for the flattering comments and the interests in buying the mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Currently there are some practical issues that I still haven't figured out.

One of the problems is the reflector. I used this one in my mod:
reflector.jpg
reflector2.jpg

It was a gift from ab and I have no idea where he got these (and I remember reading it somewhere last year that the company which made the reflector no longer produces the chrom-coated version /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). The only alternative that comes to my mind is the Mag Solitaire reflector. But I hate to ask people to pay $10 more just to buy the reflector---what should I do with the empty body?

The inside of the brass cylinder is 12mm. I want to get a reflector that can fit into that space.

People have suggested the micro-lens from tonyb---which is just a half-acrylic ball (OK, two-thirds of a ball), and it is a low efficiency setup. In small mods where space is a premium the micro-lens would have been an OK choice, but I hate to have all the empty space around and still settle for the lossy optic. If people know a source of good reflectors with ~12mm OD, that would certainly help me to offer this mod to our fellow CPFers.

The second issue is the spring I used to hold the LS assembly---it was from an old hard drive. I will need to either find a local source for similar parts, or think of an alternative way to hold the LS assembly.

The third is the heat-sink. I can stay with the current brass washer setup, but I do hope somebody can make me a batch of 12mm OD, 3-4mm thick aluminum disks. It will look better and be more efficient than the brass washers.

The fourth issue is that the stock board has difficulty going over the 500mA mark---"make it as bright as possible" is the most popular request I receive. Since the board is designed for sub-100mA battery draw, the traces are long, windy, and too thin, and the via holes are just too small to handle higher currents (like the near 1A battery draw I made in the high-power Arc AAA mods). Also there is no space on the board to put the monster inductor that's required to go to higher currents. The brass cylinder in the head certainly has enough space to hold a high power converter board similar to the ones I used in the AAA mods, but I will need to find ways to hold the board and to connect the power path.

Any suggestion about the above issues will be highly appreciated.

B@rt

Flashaholic
If these are the ones you mean:

reflector.JPG

Just let me know how many reflectors you need... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

theepdinker

Enlightened
Led,
Solitaire reflectors can be ordered for a buck or two + shipping or Barts reflectors.
I could make your aluminum heat sinks no problem.

Two issues solved.

Theepdinker