Darell's RAV4EV in news

RussH

Enlightened
Darell\'s RAV4EV in news

Well, not exactly in the news, but a few million listeners heard Daryll's name on Coast to Coast AM last night. Bill Moore was talking to George Noory about EVs and spent about 20 minutes talking about Darylls RAV4 & his charging system for it. Bill has a picture of Daryll & his RAV4 on his evworld website. Go to www.evworld.com, click on Open photos window (in the box on left), click on solar.

Some of you might be interested in hearing the archived program (Wednesday, Sept. 29, Bill Moore interview). You can link to it from Bill's evworld.com site or directly on coasttocoastam.com. Unfortunately I think you have to pay for a streamlink membership to hear it. I have no affiliation with any of the above, just an interest in EV (hybrids, actually)

Darell

Flashaholic
Re: Darell\'s RAV4 in news

Hey Russ -

I couldn't stay up late enough to listen, though I knew it was coming. Look at me, I'm famous! (Since my name is so rarely up in lights, I hope you don't mind if I correct the spelling of my name in the title. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

There are links on my site to many of the documents I've written, including the ones on EV World if anbody is interested. My site has expanded dramatically lately, actually. Thanks for the pointers, Russ!

Darell

Flashaholic

So... I don't suppose we have any members here who could download the segment and share it? If not, I'll likely just sign up for the month to grab it.... or go ask Bill for it - I'll bet he has a copy!

was_jlh

Enlightened

If you can't get it that way, replays of Coast to Coast routinely show up on Shoutcast servers.

RussH

Enlightened

Sorry about the mispelling. What is Shoutcast and how do you find anything on it? Link I found http://www.shoutcast.com/ & search for coast to coast didn't turn up anything.

was_jlh

Enlightened

Russ, shoutcast is a prog which allows you to stream audio from your pc "out" to the world ( personally I use IceCast, but more people are familiar with shoutcast). You can listen to shoutcast servers with different progs, I use StreamTuner. You tell the listening prog to show you all the shoutcast servers it can find, it does so, and you scroll thru and find what you want to listen to. If you don't see Coast to Coast, no one is broadcasting it right now. What you see listed now will be totally different than what you see in an hour or so.

RussH

Enlightened

Thanx was_jlh I wasn't aware that there was anything like that out there. I'm still at the CD burning level, never tried MP3. I still have a vinyl record player & records. I don't know what happened to my 8 track........

was_jlh

Enlightened

It's dang cool, Russ. Before leaving for work most mornings, I feed the output of one of my scanners into my icecast server, then when I get to work I am able to listen to what's happening around home.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

..and don't forget to put the accent on the second syllable of DaRell'! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wished I knew about it too.

Anything special about the charging system you could say in a short manner for those who may not hear the broadcast?

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Wished I knew about it too.

Anything special about the charging system you could say in a short manner for those who may not hear the broadcast?

[/ QUOTE ]
Which charging system are you interested in? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

There are 2 charging camps.

Inductive: Used in wet invironments, this is how your electric toothbrush charges. Allows you to charge without metal having to come in contact with metal. Very very safe.

Consuctive: how everything else in the world charges.

The EV1 was originally built for conductive charging, but GM decided consumers wouldn't be comfortable plugging a 220V plug in, so they invested tons in creating a EV-scale inductive system. Unfortunately, EVs that could be charged from a boring outlet now required expensive, specialized chargers and a unique charging infrastructure. Did I mention that it was originally designed for conductive?

The Rav was also originally designed for conductive charging, and indeed a bunch out there (In fleets, not owned by private parties) have conductive charging systems, but by the time the Rav4 was released to the public an inductive charging system was engineered again -- once again forcing the EV to be tethered to an expensive, unnecessary charger.

To complicate matters, the Ev1 used "LPI" or Large Paddle Inductive. Then, even though the Ev1 was the prominant vehicle on the road, made "SPI" or "Small Paddle Inductive" the charging standard, so the Rav is SPI.

So basically all the chargers for the Ev1 had to then be retrofitted again to SPI so Ravs could use them. Unfortunately there are still LPI chargers out there -- useless now that the EV1s are off the road.

Again, all this could have been prevented if they would have just gone with conductive charging.

Well ACP took it a step further. Their system is called "reductive" charging. Basically it is a conductive system. You find a place to hook up and the vehicle adapts to the electricity automatically. Charge at home from 220 in a few hours. Charge at grandma's on 110 overnight. Use a public, high voltage EV charging place and charge in a matter of minutes. Literally.

Darell

Flashaholic

Jeez, Ryan. I was hoping to find *something* to correct, but can't find anything. I guess I'll just continue packaging your Aleph. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh! I can add that with LPI and SPI, that the new EV standard (neat that we have a charging standard yet no cars, huh?) is.... drum roll... conductive!

Saaby

Flashaholic

Why do you think I stepped in and posted? Keep packing Don Jr. (Not to be confused with little Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RussH

Enlightened

They were talking about Darell's solar PV system. Not only is the sly dog avoiding buying gasoline, he's not even paying for the electricity to recharge the RAV4! (so to speak...)

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
RussH said:
They were talking about Darell's solar PV system. Not only is the sly dog avoiding buying gasoline, he's not even paying for the electricity to recharge the RAV4! (so to speak...)

[/ QUOTE ]
Crazy, huh? Also not paying for the electricity for my entire house. I *am*, however, paying my share of income taxes that goes toward protecting a bunch of oil that I'm not using. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif But then I'm NOT paying my share of transportation taxes at the pump while I'm still using the roads - so I guess that's a wash? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif