is ARC largest installed base high end LED lights?

cy

Flashaholic
Is ARC largest installed base high end LED lights? With 20,000+ units out there. I thought ARC was the largest.

Being the market leader for high end LED lights, ARC would have had to been the largest at one time.

Recently I was told that not correct. Then who is? Surefire?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we were, it was only for a short time. It didn't take long for Surefire, etc to get in the market and use their large manufacturing capabilities to surpass our volume of "high end" type lights.

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: is ARC largest installed base high end LED lig

Does the AAA count as a high end light? Peter, can you tell us about how many Arc AAA's are out there? Surefire may have shipped more Luxeon lights than Arc, but if you count the AAA, it wouldn't surprise me if there are more Arc LED lights than Surefire LED lights.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Without looking through all the books (this gets tiring!), I would estimate about 10k units for the AAA.

Peter

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i guess dorcy

paulr

Flashaholic

Peter, thanks, that is very impressive, if half the Arc lights had Luxeons (I expect there weren't all that many AA's). I was imagining Arc's production would have been at least 80% AAA's.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i certainly wouldn't consider the dorcy high end though, i'd have a hard time even considering streamlight high end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

cy

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Without looking through all the books (this gets tiring!), I would estimate about 10k units for the AAA.Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Has Surefire or anyone else sold more than 10,000 complete luxeon lights?

If we use this definition, AT 10,000+ units ARC may still be the largest seller of complete luxeon lights?

cy

Flashaholic

ARC has produced 20,000+ complete lights, of which aprox. 10,000 were AAA and aprox 10,000 were complete luxeon lights.

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
i certainly wouldn't consider the dorcy high end though, i'd have a hard time even considering streamlight high end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, Dorcy is mediocre. Not bad, but barely satisfactory fit and finish.

Streamlight offers very good quality at moderate price, but I agree not high end.

Surefire IMO would qualify as high end, as they offer the best of the best in their intended class.

jhereg

Enlightened

I think Arc does count as high end. They just got a little too far out & let their QC slip. That having been said, I don't think that any of my 3 ARCs compare to my Peak flashlight for perceived quality.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
ARC does not count as high end, the many failures are documented here on cpf.

[/ QUOTE ]

And SureFire shipped hundreds (maybe thousands) of L4s with defective POS clickie switches. It amazes me that they were not recalled.

SureFire and Arc are (were) two very different companies, and both have had issues. Certainly Arc had more, but to say that Arc's products were not "high end" is incorrect in my opinion. The Arc LS in still the benchmark for a single 123 Luxeon light in very many people's minds.

Peter

*Retired*

Dunno, maybe you are right, as far as your idea of high end, it is definitely a matter of opinion.

I do know one lady that bought a new jaguar, and it spent a solid six months out of the first year in the shop.

The LS is most definitely the most trouble-free out of the other much more defective products ARC made. We can give dat2zip a great round of applause for that, especially his trouble-free design that does 99% of the work in the LS flashlight.

jhereg

Enlightened

The lady w/ the Jaguar made a classic mistake. You are supposed to buy *TWO* Jaguars so you have one to drive while the other is in the shop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif (A semi-serious suggestion from some mechanic friends who work on British cars.)

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yah, Jags need to be sold in pairs.