Looking for Arc AAA "replacement"

deww

Newly Enlightened
Looking for Arc AAA \"replacement\"

First of all, it's not really going to be a replacement. Since Arc is, sadly, no more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , I'd like to treasure my Arc AAA and put it away in a safe place. Maybe it should be mounted on to a plaque. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In any case, I swear I ran across some LED keychain lights that were about the same sized as the Arc AAA. Can someone offer any hints on what I might seen or offer something that has such great build as well? Thanks.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Looking for Arc AAA \"replacement\"

The two direct substitutes for the Arc AAA are the Peak lights (above) and the CMG Sonic. Neither is really as nice as an Arc, though, IMHO.

I hope you'll take your Arc AAA back out of the safe place (bank vault?) and put it back on your keys where it belongs. The best way to honor a light is to carry and use it every day, not put it on a plaque.

deww

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I hope you'll take your Arc AAA back out of the safe place (bank vault?) and put it back on your keys where it belongs. The best way to honor a light is to carry and use it every day, not put it on a plaque.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. :) Thanks for the replies folks!

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Remember that the Arc will probably out shine the peak 1LED and maybe even the 1LED hipower, because Peak doesn't overdrive. Take a look at the 3LED hipower.

mapson

Enlightened

First, is there any other lights that match Arc aaa's size? I haven't seen one but I'm new, maybe other seasoned veterans know. If there are no lights that match in size, runtime, brightness; it would explain the many looking to buy one regardless of price at the moment.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any ARC AAA replacement will need to have:

Same size or smaller
NO tailcap that unscrews (and unscrews off your keychain)
Regulation
Waterproof
"Bulletproof!"
That nice reflector

Colors like TEAL (or Cyan or Turquoise) Red, and Blue (at least, maybe more colors) would also be a plus.

DharmaBum

Newly Enlightened

Get a Peak prototype. Exact same body as the Arc AAA in unanodized aluminum or brass. The production lights have the screw-off tail, but not the protos. They are exactly like the Arc. The electronics aren't as bright, but they are nice lights all the same. I'd buy a few, keep a couple, and send a couple to someone to mod it to a Luxeon! Pow!

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta disagree with you on that one Budd. The screw off tailcap on the Peak is a great feature. Lets you stand the light on end in "candle mode," which is something I wish more lights could do. I don't use a keychain with my Arc or Peak, but you could put some Loktite on the threads if you find the Peak tailcap coming off too easily.

PS - Love your icon. "I want more cow bell!"

Longbow

Enlightened

Get the Peak 3 led AAA. Quite a bit nicer than the Arc AAA. Rember Arc is dead....Hi ho the wicked witch is deeaaaddd!

MichiganMan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Unregulated said:
Get the Peak 3 led AAA. Quite a bit nicer than the Arc AAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... No.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

The Peak 3-LED AAA is longer than the Arc AAA. Quite a bit longer. It's longer than many single-AA LED lights that aren't trying to be all that small.

I also hear that their drivers are lacking in efficiency and power.

Niteowl

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
I also hear that their drivers are lacking in efficiency and power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on that comment?

Mark

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got a feavor, and the only perscription, is MORE COWBELL!

Not saying that the end tailcap is bad, only BAD for keychains.

I had a really nice, small laser on my keychain, and one day went to use it, and all that was there was the tailcap, attached to my keychain. Never found the laser.

So I speak from experience, the screw on tailcap is not good for keychains.

"Explore the studio space with the cowbell"

[ QUOTE ]
RonM said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta disagree with you on that one Budd. The screw off tailcap on the Peak is a great feature. Lets you stand the light on end in "candle mode," which is something I wish more lights could do. I don't use a keychain with my Arc or Peak, but you could put some Loktite on the threads if you find the Peak tailcap coming off too easily.

PS - Love your icon. "I want more cow bell!"

[/ QUOTE ]

jaa

Newly Enlightened

Just looked at the accessories page on Peak's site, and they will be offering the prototype bodies. No price yet, but I'm guessing it will be $5 like the AAA bodies with the screw-on keyfob.

I'm looking for a replacement for my Arc AAA, too, and for me it will probably be the Peak AAA 3led head in snow with the prototype body.