Lightweight reflectors?

Zaphod

Newly Enlightened
Been lurking here forever, and finally registered to ask some questions. I'm doing a project over the next few months that needs a seriously lightweight reflector. I figure if anyone in the world would know how much various reflectors weigh, it'd be a CPFer.

I'm looking for one that will work safely with extremely hot lamps, and focuses to about an 8' (2.4m) diameter beam at 10-20' (3-6m). The kicker is that the lamp + reflector assembly needs to weigh less than 200 grams (0.44 lb) to work in this application. Suggestions for low-power (under 150w), high-output lamps are welcome as well. (edit: cost is not a factor here, so go nuts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Thanks in advance.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an answer but do offer a suggestion if no one here can come up with something (and I have yet to see CPF'ers fail to rise to a challenge). You might try posting to the newsgroup sci.engr.lighting and see what comes up.

dukeleto

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, "zaphod"....
been reading the hitchhiker's guide? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zaphod

Newly Enlightened
reflector size etc.

Litho123: I plan to use this with an automotive, non-HID bulb (since ballast = weight) so any reflector large enough for those will do.

dukeleto: Beeblebrox could drink Atreides under the table any day.

My current thoughts on this projet are these: I could tear apart a handheld spotlight from Wal-Mart and use that reflector. I'm not sure about the material on these, though. Are they plastic or aluminum? Will they stand up to the heat from a powerful bulb like a philips bluevision H3 (current candidate)? Most importantly, are they light enough?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: reflector size etc.

Zaphod,

A few more details-

Power source?
Mounting?
Output?

If your talking H3, the Phillips Blues are certainly not the the brightest, but are readily available. The 8' focus at 10-20 feet is a problem with the type of reflector you mention.

Bill

Zaphod

Newly Enlightened
Re: bwaites

My power source will be whatever is required, as long as it can plug into a 2000w generator and not draw more than about 300w. It may be of some concern that the lamp will be about 50' from the power supply.

As far as output, I'm hoping for the brightest, yet lightest, possible bulb. Any hints in this area would be helpful. I've just been looking at the H3 blue because it's pretty lightweight and has decent output.

As for mounting, that's totally flexible. I'll be building the fixture myself, and the design can accommodate any reasonably sized reflector.

Thus, the only real constraints are weight and focus distance.

floyd

Newly Enlightened
Re: lamps

Take a look at mr-16 projection lamps, like are used in overhead projectors. Yes, the lamp life is short, and you might need to do some digging to find one with the right beam spread, but the entire assembly usually weighs less than about 50 grams. They are also reasonably inexpensive, at around $10-15 each.