Auto Transmission selection questions for pick ups

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
Got a real off topic question.

My truck is an 89 C1500 with the big V6 and what I suspect is an elderly automatic transmission with 200k on it.

Since I was having the truck rebuilt this year, I asked my mechanic to swap in a fresh unit as well. He is resistant to do this since my current unit works. In my opinion it's tired and has some quirks.

One of the things we do get here are various car/truck magazines. In skimming just one book there were ads for three different companies marketing up graded transmissions that fit my truck.

The ad's fit a pattern.
These are not exactly 'stock' any more.
Most offer a reduced ratio first gear, I gather for quicker off the line starts.
They also offer a taller over drive gear for better fuel use.
Some of the ad's promise normal operation when placed in Drive, and user selection of gears when manually shifted.
Some also say they can add more clutch packs or fancy oil pumps.

This set me thinking. It's an old truck. I'm no youngster either. If I wanted neck snapping performance I would have purchased a used corvette rather than a hauler. Then again there are times when a little more push off the line makes the difference between getting across traffic and waiting for another endless stream of cars to pass by.

Also a taller rear drive ratio would be nice for this planed road trip. Most of where I'm planning to go will be flat ground, so the engine will be loafing rather than lugging.

Anyhow, on to the bottom line. The prices are all over the dial. Some places want 2500 bucks. The one below was more in line with what I think an auto trans rebuild should cost. I gather it's got normal parts in it except for a shift kit and the new gears. I didn't see anything about pumps or an unusual number of clutch rings. Heck at this rate I can afford a new torque converter, the installation , and still come out below the quote my regular mechanic gave me.

700r4 2WD Mega Monster Transmission: http://racetransmissions.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/32

My questions are….
Anybody here have experience with this vendor?
Experience with this kind of product.

What works, what don't, and what are the pit falls.

Ideas welcome.

Otherwise it's a quiet day here in this part of Iraq.

Looking forward to rain season. We can always hope that will short out IED's before the troopers find them.

Been busy on Ebay getting useful tools. Just purchased a radio service monitor for doing two way radio tune ups, and have a good bid on a spectrum analyzer to go with it.

Won some two way radios for my wife's car. VHF and UHF remote mount Midland Syntec II's. Stone axe simple radios. On/Off volume, squelch, and channel. A minimum of buttons to get messed up. Joanne comes from the school if it isn't working like she thinks it should, start pressing buttons. Modern ham radios will thank me. For my truck I got a VHF Low band Syntec II for 6 meters.

If I've gotten away with one wacky question, how about another?

Anybody here have a police car radio consol for sale. I want something to fit in the truck between bucket seats.

Get back to me when you can. Got 67 more days in the litter box.

Thanks in advance
Jack Crow in Iraq

RussH

Enlightened
Hey, Jack, my first thought is 'if it ain't brike, don't fix it'. But the second thing is how long will you keep the truck? Third is do you plan to do a lot of towing? There really isn't too much in the way of pitfalls if you'll have this new transmission long enough to make it worthwhile.

If you weren't going to keep the truck for another 100,000 miles, the most I would do is new fluid & filter, put in a shift kit and maybe new clutch packs. When they open it up for the shift kit they can see what shape it is in & decide on clutch packs. If it did need clutch packs, I'd seriously consider replacing it with a rebuilt one. Most of the other improvements will help it last 500,000 miles instead of 300,000 or be better for towing or hod rodding.

But, gas prices are going to stay high so the higher overdrive would help. I'm not sure there would be much gain on a V6 pulling a full size truck, it depends on the RPM range. IIRC, peak torque on the 4.3L V6 is at 2400 RPM and you are probably below that already at 70mph, depending on differential gear ratio. My 1996 Jimmy SUV 4 door(about the same weight as your truck) has a .71 overdrive, 3.42 rear gears, and 30" tires. The 3.42 gears cost me about 1/2 MPG over the 3.08RPM. The 3.08 made it just a bit too sluggish and the 3.42 was better for the light towing or large camping gear loads I frequently carry. I think this is a toss up.

I don't have any experience with that transmission rebuilder. I do have some experience with GM automatic transmissions. In most cases, these transmissions last 300,000 miles - especially if you change the fluid (actually only part of it) at the scheduled intervals. Changing the fluid periodically to keep some fresh additives in there and maybe checking the band adjustments is really all these transmissions need. I've put 200,000 - 300,000 miles on at least 3 different GM auto transmissions. Also a couple of Fords.

Most transmissions do have room for more/heavier duty clutch packs which I'd consider if I was pulling a trailer regularly. I did like the improved shifts in my 1970 GTO after changing to a performance kit in the valve body. And if you do need a rebuilt transmission, often the 'racing' transmissions are no more expensive than a stock rebuild. You would be buying the transmission outright so you could keep the original although there may be a core charge. HTH,

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you doing a lot of towing/hauling with it. If so then changing the gearing would help out some. With a v6 in a full size truck the transmission has to shift more often than with a v8 so the clutches could be getting worn down pretty good. The 700R4 isn't a real complex transmission you could buy a rebuild kit (which is all the seals gaskets and such) and the clutches/bands and your or your mechanic rebuild what you have.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
We had a 200R4 behind a 400+- HP small block in our El Camino. After my buddy did a front pump fix on it, it was fine.

a 700R4 lives behind a blown small block in a guys '37 Chevy just peachy.

What trans does the truck have now? Maybe others are correct in that it only needs maintanence?

We chose the 200 because of the big drop in RPMs between 1 and 2 in the 700. But behind something torquey, it probably wouldn't matter.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Guys your answers......

R,
Now that's an answer.

Lots of things I diden't know about.

The only questions I can answer are about how long I intend to keep this vehicle. As a minimum Im thinking of at least five years. Im having a fresh engine put in this year, along with a full rebuild of the front end and brake system. Got all kinds of 'make nice' stuff on order as well.

The question of tow is interesting. The truck when I got it has the equipment to do that. The electric brake box, a fancy heavy duty receiver unit for the tow ball. Let's assume the prior owner used this thing and as a tow vehicle a lot. The wife and I are considering relocating to another part of the country and the tow ability would save some trips.
More when I know more.

Thanks for your answer.

E,
I would love to have the time and the place to do a rebuild my self. The bear is I live in an apartment and there are rules that don't let me do auto repairs in the parking lot. So I get to pay someone else and be happy about it.
See my above coments about the tow question.
Thanks

PJS,
That car sounds like fun.
I beleive I will be swaping an improved unit for the older model.Same transmission 700R4 for the 700R4, so most of it should bolt up just fine.

Guys,
Thanks for your time, hope this finds you well. Down to 66 days.

Keep it warm
Jack Crow

Latest posts