Fun Gun, M1 Garand

guncollector

Enlightened
Okay, here's "Part II" in my unintentional "Fun Gun" series. I've been a big WWII-Saving Private Ryan-kick, every since rediscovering my M1 Carbine (since sold and replaced!).

If you missed it, here's the link to the first part: Fun Gun, M1 Carbine

Anyway, this M1 Garand (Harrington & Richardson) came to from the Civilian Marksmanship Program--from where you too can have an M1 Garand delivered right to your front doorstep, courtesy of the Uncle Sam. Of course, there are some requirements, but they are not difficult to fulfill--even for the casual shooter or gun-owner.

Without further ado:

m1garand_collage.jpg

She came to me still with residual cosmoline on the parts, but after a detail strip, cleaning, and relubing (along with a alot of work refinishing the "yucky" tar-smeared stock), she's resplendent again!

I'm going to have to re-watch my Band of Brothers (again!) on DVD this weekend...

Enjoy!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember mine (sn#144279) fondly. I was in the last basic training cycle at Ft Polk to use the M1

guncollector

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I've ALWAYS wanted a Garand...

But the usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif always seems to get in the way!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that its any small change, but the CMP's $299.00 "Rack Grade" Greek-return M1 Garands are about as cheap as they will ever be. If anyone's been thinking about picking one up, NOW is definitely the time--cause there aren't that many more countries out there with Garands to return!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Beautiful piece, GC. Mine's a re-import SA from '43. I rebarreled it and added match sights. Ain't as nice as some of the DCM ones have been, but shoots well. A friend of mine got a DCM H&R that also looked like it was brand new and that was well over 10 years ago. I keep mine just inside the safe door with a full bandolier of LC 67 hanging next to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Chengiz

Enlightened
The entire M1 family is fun to shoot, though the M1 is by far the best. It shoulders fast and on target, decent weight for transition of targets across the course, and best of all the cool alarm when i runs dry. My M21 is great for long distance rapid engagement but is not a close in worker.

Though the DCMs are inexpensive and a reward for participating in the shooting sports my new favorite is the SOCOM 16, you can attach lights and scopes. To attach both at the same time it is advisable to look at a three rail system from Knights arms. This replaces the top of the forearm with three picatiny rails. I believe this rail system might work on all the M1 Family, but don't know that for a fact. I'm sorry, don't believe it will go on the M1 Carbine.