Custom KL3 mod options

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Hey guys & gals,

Thanks in advance for your advice. I have a KL3 head I would like to mod and was wondering what the options are. I'm thinking of putting a 3w, using a 2 stage tailswitch, and driving it at 500-700.

Regarding the head, what are the options? One would be optics or reflectors. What have you had experience with, and what do the beams and throw look like? What optic is in there presently?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great weekend!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an idea of what the end result can be, check this out, KL3 link

There really aren't many different options with modding the head itself. You can choose the bias, I have resistors to go either 850mA or 1.2A. It makes no sense to go under that with the KL3 because it can be run on a two or three cell body and can handle the heat.

Your other choice would be in the emitter, and that's a matter of preference.

The last choice would be in the optic/reflector. I would recommend going with the reflector. You presently have an NX05 optic. Although I've done this mod using Fraen LP's, the reflector is a better all around option. Besides, the reflector gives you sidespill and it out throws the Fraen LP.

I can't comment on the tailcap because I don't mess with them.

albert

Enlightened
Sithjedi333,

I have a KL3 modded by Chop, overdriven to 1.2A with a TX0J or K with a reflector, it's one of my favourite light.
(Thanks, Tony. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif )