adjustable intensity

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
I like my flashlights to be as bright as necessary but no brighter. So right now I'm looking for a small LED hand-held, about 4"-6" in length, with an adjustable intensity control. Should have a metal case. Would be good if the batteries were easy to come by. Any suggestions?

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knee-jerk answer is Arc4. Not sure if any are still available, but check the B/S/T forum in case someone is trying to sell one.

If you can wait, HDS will have their range of lights soon. (we hope) They are similar in many ways with the Arc4. Supposedly a driven a little harder at max output, but similar with various levels of brightness selectable from a single pushbutton and a couple of blinky options.

There are probably others available and I'm sure some other members with larger collections will chime in soon.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't need absolute minimum size as a requirement, you can try the Surefire U2 Digital Ultra. That one is 6.13", takes two cells and gives you everything from 2 to 100 lumens in six steps.

Problem is, nobody knows when THAT is gonna show up....

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, fhapgood.

You might want to check out the Mr. Bulk LionHeart. There are several threads concerning it to be found on the Homemade and Modified forum and Custom and Modified B/S/T forum.

If you go to the first post in each thread you can get the most information on the light.

Click here to see a photo comparing it to a couple of small lights: LionHeart on the right

It runs on a Pila 150A rechargable. 60-sumpin output levels you can adjust with the one switch.

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
I should have been clearer:

I want a flash that I can reach for when I wake up in the middle of the night and want to go wandering. I don't want it bright because it might wake up the wife and I don't like bright anyway. I'll be using it for gross navigation so I won't bump into the furniture. I won't be using it to find things (it would be nice if I could switch to a tight beam for that function but I understand that level of configurability is not available at the moment.)

So I want a light that has lots of what you guys seem to call "spill". It could be red. Maybe it should be red.

The Lionheart looks good but I don't want to spend more than $50.

Possibly a small low-intensity red LED lantern might be what I am looking for.

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
Ufex or Nflex might also be viable options.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing comes up when I try searching under Ufex and nothing that makes sense from a retail perspective when I search under Nflex.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Eternalight EliteMax if the formfactor would be ok.

An McLux Aleph with a high resistor value for the 2-stage switch

bernhard

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you really dont need max power, i would suggest a Palight Onestar with the optic removed.

though it is not aluminum, it has the "always on" feature, silent button, STARTS OUT DIM and ramps up to full intensity. easy to find in the dark, 9v bats and inexpensive--about $15. it is fully regulated.

with the optic removed, is has a great flood. i use mine almost nightly to get aroud the dark house without disturbing my sleeping wife.

i also take the pal with us when we travel. i put it on low setting, and leave it in the bathroom to illuminate those nightly bathroom visits.

another very nice possibility wold be an eternalight or inova 24/7.

Bob

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Eternalight EliteMax if the formfactor would be ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rigel Systems lights look perfect. Assuming the spill is wide enough.

http://www.rigelsys.com/

Anybody have any thoughts or reactions?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
PAL lights are a good option. The PAL survival comes on in low mode. Next click takes you to high, followed by flashing and off. In its naitive form, the beam is pretty narrow with little spill. Reverse the lens and the beam gets wider. And like Bob said if you completely remove the optic it emits a perfectly circular flood.

Nice thing about the PAL is that the "rubber" case stands on end and is silent if accidentally knocked over when reaching for it.

It's my first choice for in-home night wanderings.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am not so kind ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif ... my girl has to suffer from my bright illumination tools ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On Topic: why not a FireFly with a 2-stage switch?
So many choices ...

bernhard

kevindick

Newly Enlightened
I second the Eternalight recommendation. They've been my bedside lights for years. Good for everything from checking on the kids to getting a snack. I even gave up my reading lamp because the Eternalight did the job. They come on at the last light level. And the new Elite Max that I got is almost as bright as a Luxeon when you use it in overdrive mode.

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
I am not so kind ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif ... my girl has to suffer from my bright illumination tools ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On Topic: why not a FireFly with a 2-stage switch?
So many choices ...

bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! My wife bothers me with the damn things now. When she walks thru the house I always make the msitake to look at her and ask what is wrong. She has the uncanny ability to shoot the light DEAD CENTER at my eyes.

ReynolS

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kevindick said:
... They come on at the last light level ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a new function? The two EternaLights I have, Derringer and ErgoMarine, always start out at the max brightness.

Scott R.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I think only the EliteMex can do this ... it has a programmable setting to change the set-up.
bernhard

idleprocess

Flashaholic
No need to frighten off the newbies by instantly recommending a mod or sky-high production light ala SureFire...

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Infinity Ultra on my key chain has good light if you are dark adapted (Like asleep). Indestructable, uses 1 AA, cheap (Less than $20) Super run time too. Not to bright but way better than a cheapo $1 plasic no name light. The LED in it will last a lifetime and it will not break if dropped..

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights