A request for CPF'ers advice.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
A request for CPF\'ers advice.

Hi to all!!
I have a Surefire 6P, an extension to make it a 9P and P90 lamps, and a G2 Nitrolon. I love everything about Surefire lights except their PRICE. I love tactical lights, EDC and full size and I really want to get an A2 Aviator or a U2 when they come out, but their prices are quite a hit to my family budget. I believe in owning quality lights that are REALLY bright, but I want to know if there are other lights, incandescent or LED, that are just as good in quality and brightness as Surefire but less expensive. I am a flashaholic but I don't always have the money for cool lights. (My wife loves them, too.) I have looked at many other manufacturers sites(Pila, Nuwai, Pentagon Light, ...) but I can't see them in person and I wonder if there is anything else like Surefire's quality, regardless of price. Should I save up for Surefires or is there something else? Please help...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A request for CPF\'ers advice.

Hi socom1970,

First of all welcome to CPF!

I guess I am not in the position to comment too much since I only do own Surefires only except my Inova X5T. What I can recommend to you are lights that I have either played with or have ever once owned.

I used to have a Streamlight Scorpion and although the beam is not perfect compared to Surefire's but it is one hell of a bright light with good throw. I am impressed with it but sold it off later as I still prefer the built of Surefire. Hence decided to collect only Surefires.

My friend have a Pelican M6 and it has a very good throw and bright beam too. The overall design is beautiful and if you are interested you can find them here. There is the LED version that you might want to consider here.

I would advice you to go for the Pelican M6. It really is value for the money. And since you already own an A19 extender for your 6P, you would be pleased to know that you can actually convert the Pelican M6 to a 9V light using the A19 extender. All you need is to get a P91 lamp assembly head which fits nicely into the Pelican M6 and you have a 200 lumens light that is of Surefire quality!

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Before I ever bought my first Surefire, I was working in the field with an agency issue Streamlight Stinger. I liked it so much that I got my parents a polyStinger for dog walking. My dad says cars now swerve away from them when he flashes the light.

Streamlight seems to be making a worthy attempt to get back in the tactical game. The Strion, especially looks interesting as a mini rechargeable Stinger. I would also check out the TL2 or TL3 as substitutes for the C2/M2 and M3.

I have done a side-by-side comparison of my M3 (low output lamp) and Stinger on a dark canyon wall. The M3 was whiter, with a smoother beam, but the Stinger put out the same amount of light at the same brightness.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Streamlight, Pelican, Nuwai and Pila all have excellent products. But not all their products are excellent.
The high quality hard anodized type III finish which is found on most Surefires is lacking on most of the other lights.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my opinion there are other manufacturers that make very nice flashlights that are almost as good as Surefire for less money.

Having said that, if you want the best, save up your money and buy the Surefire.

I've come to that conclusion after spending lots of money on cheaper lights, I still ended up buying Surefire anyway. In some respects you could say I paid twice as much than what I would have, if I'd just bought what I wanted...Surefire.

Since you already have the 6P I'm not sure what else you might need. Although a small EDC Led light and a M3 would be good.

Personally if someone came to me and said I want to buy a few lights of very high quality that would cover 99% of my needs, what would you suggest? I would tell them an E1e, an L4 and an M3.

I would get a spare E2e lamp and create the following three lights, a TW4 (E1e body with the L4's LED head) an E2e (L4 body with E1e head and E2e lamp) and of course the M3.

This would give you a great EDC, a pocketable E2e and a great throwing M3.

I should add that the E2 series has a lower output longer running lamp if you want that option too.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I agree with Double A except I would prefer a M6 to a M3.

I admit not everyone would prefer a M6 to a M3 because of size and cost.

The M3 can be used with a Turbo Head to make a M3T and a KL6 to make a L6. If you think you might go this route, I recommend that you get the M3T and then get the M3 bezel and KL6. It'll be cheaper this way.

I do prefer a M3 to all other Surefire lights for use with a handgun.

Like I said, I do agree with Double A, save your money for Surefires. I don't think Surefires are perfect, but they're the highest quality lights I've found.

The bottom line is will you be satisfied with other lights? There is no need to buy Surefires if you're satisfied with cheaper lights.

Wrangler

Enlightened

I`m satisfied with Pelican PM6 and Streamlight TL3.
The most important for me is a huge lightoutput in a pocketable flashlight. Of course they have to be reliable.
And I don`t care if they get a little scratched at the body `cause it doesn`t take influence to the performance at all.
For the two lights mentioned it applies to and the fact that the lights and the sparelamps are relatively cheap compared to surefire`s.
Just my two (euro)cents.
Wolfgang