Looking for Small Rechargeable Light

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

My girlfriend's dad runs a bus company. He wanted me to try and do some research to find a good flashlight he could give to his employees.

He is looking for something relatively small, and that can be recharged without removing the battery. It would be used in emergency situations mostly, and should be a suitable walk light. Runtime less than an hour probably won't be a good idea.

I was thinking of the Strion, which goes for $79.95 from BrightGuy with the 12VDC charger (so they can plug them into the buses). I haven't talked to him about price yet, so I don't know about this.

I was thinking something in the E series, but everything needs to have the battery removed in order to charge it, that I know of. The Strion is in the same size family, and can be put in a cradle.

What do you guys think of the Strion for this purpose? Do you have any other recommendations? Thank you in advance.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Strion is a great little light, but it only lasts 70 minutes on a full charge if you are looking for something to last longer. Lithium-ion batteries need to be charged/discharged a little differently than Nicad as well. But if your dad's employees can get past all that, they will probably enjoy the lights.
A poly stinger might be a little cheaper and a little less attention to charging.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only comment would be that a rechargeable light would not be my first choice for a light to be used in "emergency situations mostly." Rechargeables are best suited for heavy use lights. A good set of lithium disposable or even alkaline batteries would outlast rechargeables when rarely used and you don't have the hassles of dealing with the chargers and keeping the cells topped off, etc. Plus you would save a lot of money up front with the purchase price.

But of course you would have the problem of the disposable batteries being scavenged out of the lights and used for other devices and maybe he would find it impossible to keep batteries in them for very long. That would be a reason to use an uncommon battery size like CR123A. The UK 2L comes to mind.