Pelican M6 lithium <-> led conversion

BBL

Enlightened
Hi! maybe someone here can help me on that topic:

i have currently a pelican M6 on order and would like to convert it to the led version in the future - including lamp-assembly and the click-switch. is this basically possible, what parts would i need and where can i get them?

thanx in advance!

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
better is you get the led version and convert it easily to the xenon version by only replacing the led-module with the xenon-bulb-reflector unit. check battery-station.com for led-version and replacement xenon-bulb unit.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
What rastaman said. If you get the PM6 LED version, all you need is to buy the Xenon Lamp Assemblies and swap out.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Be aware that the new style PM6 does not have threads where you can screw the lamp assemblies in.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
But you can still swap out the LED and Xenon Lamp Assemblies, right? It just doesn't screw in. You "drop" it in. So if you take off the bezel it can fall out, like a Surefire?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I think what he's saying is that the LED has a threaded base to the lamp assembly, but the new xenon don't. The ones I've seen actually have the threads ground off. You can drop the unthreaded xenon assembly into a threaded LED body, but I'm not sure if you can put the threaded LED assembly in an unthreaded PM6 body.

Daniel

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P-M6 LED doesn't have a threaded base. It is a drop in. I have one sitting right here. I can drop in a LA or the LED . Kinda nifty that way.

greenLED

Flashaholic
The *new* M6 does not have a threaded base. I have an old-style Peli-M6 and both the LED and incan modules are threaded (as is the body of the light). This drop-in feature is one of the many things I like about this light.

I have not tried using a *new* LA in my old-style M6 body. Has anyone tried this?

BBL

Enlightened
the new version is unthreaded - that way the led and xenon-modules should be interchangeable, as long as they are both the same version, right?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yes, but I'm wondering whether *new* lamp assemblies or LED modules would fit in an *old* style M6 body.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The New assemblies do work in the old bodies.

Imagine a threaded body. The lamp assembly is threaded too. The threads imtrermesh. Now imagine grinding off the threads. What you have a plug that fits fairly well within the threaded body.

The new lamp assemblies I've purchased appeared to be the old assemblies with the threads ground off and a reflector epoxied on. I can see the remains of the threads on mine.

Daniel

capnal

Enlightened
I did this back a couple of weeks ago at the Fort Worth CPF get together. I had just gotten my Pelican M6 LED that afternoon, and I brought with me the Xenon version as well. there at the table I was able to tear both of them down and rebuild with mix-matched parts. It all worked fine.

What I don't know if where or how a person would go about getting just the clickie tail cap or just the LED lamp assembly for a conversion. It would seem to me that it would pay for itself in practicality and convenience to just buy the whole M6 LED and have both lights. Because the Pelicans are sold at such "affordable" levels, price should not discount owning both.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thanks for the confirmation. This light is awesome! I love this kind of modularity.

One last question, did Peli fix the rough threads on the newer style? The threads on mine are still very rough, even after months of use and some lubing.

PJS, the LED is **white**!!

vtunderground

Enlightened
I've bought two M6 LED's... One "in-between", with the threaded body & threadless LED assembly, and one "new-style", with the threadless body & threadless LED assembly.

All the threads on the new-style light were much cleaner & smoother than on the older light, but the older light had a noticibly whiter LED.