arc lsh-p is whistling

Status
Not open for further replies.

makar

Enlightened
i have an arc lsh-p and i use it with cr123s from batterystation. i notice a very slight whistling when i turn on the light. has anyone experienced anything like that?
you have to hold the light real close to the ear to notice it.

the lsh-p is totally dry and has not been exposed to any kind of water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

marc

BBL

Enlightened
My LSH-S does that too, using AA-batteries... i guess its normal

E

EchoSierraTwo

I wouldnt say normal. This is the first that I hear of this. Sounds like some issue with the board, current, etc. I dunno. very interesting so say the least. I'll be watching.

2dim

Enlightened
What exactly is it whistling? Star Spangled Banner is normal, but any Cat Steven's songs are completely unacceptable and must be reported immediately to the proper authorities.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
2dim said:
What exactly is it whistling? Star Spangled Banner is normal, but any Cat Steven's songs are completely unacceptable and must be reported immediately to the proper authorities.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it starts whisteling anything from the movie "Bridge over the River Kwai" start worrying. lol.

If ya get sick of the whisteling ya could always sell it to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Of upgrade the electronics and sell me the old ones.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sound could be caused by the windings on the inductor (inductor hum) or one of the battery/switch contacts. If it is the inductor, there is no need to worry, this is normal from time to with switching power supplies. My laptop supply sings sometimes. If it is the contacts, it may build up carbon fouling and require cleaning later on. The symptoms would include the light being dim, flickering or not working at all. Cleaning the contacts is usally a pretty quick and easy process. There are other threads here that talk about cleaning and maintaining your Arc products.

Peter

makar

Enlightened
@2dim: i could not recognize a certain melody /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
@hallis: i would never sell any of my arcs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
@peter: it is also flickering a little - i will check the contacts. i assume i can take a screw-driver to clean the contacts? thanks for the info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
use alchol and a qtip not a screw driver

[/ QUOTE ]

First, how you supposed to do the screwdriver thing without alcohol? And if you are, use a large glass not a q-tip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The light is simply whistling while it works, it's happy ..... go with it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
the "whistling" could be an arcing contact / switch as PG pojnted out. I had this problem with a Z49 ona PM6 once and didn't even notice flickering as the regulator (it was the PM6 with McModule) could compensate the problem.
BUT efficiency should be reduced significantly AND it might even harm the components as heat could result.
After cleaning it was gone and silent.
bernhard

oldtimer

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
[ QUOTE ]
2dim said:

[/ QUOTE ]

If it starts whisteling anything from the movie "Bridge over the River Kwai" start worrying. lol.

If ya get sick of the whisteling ya could always sell it to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Of upgrade the electronics and sell me the old ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great movie with Guiness!

SJACKAL

Enlightened
My LSHS with 2AATSP Kroll switch does the same everytime. I was told by the guy who gave it to me, to file the kroll switch a bit to improve contact...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts