Using dish tv with antenna inside

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in an apartment and I know according to the FCC or some regulations I can have a dish, but I rather not go that route since I live on the ground floor and hate for someone to screw with my antenna as it would be impossible for me to go out back to readjust it.

I have a south facing window and its fairly large and a patio. I was wondering if i could get a signal for one of those dish tv services. Seems like programming wise its way cheaper than cable, although I took advantage of a special the works for 22 bucks a month with comcast, it runs out December.

I know also at least someone told me that a deactivated dish system can be used to tune in to see if you get a signal. Is that true? Anyone tried this? Anyone have an old disk willing to sell me or ship to try it?

Thanks

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The signal will pass through glass, but the patio would be a better choice. A 5 gallon bucket full of cement makes a decent mount in a pinch, assuming you don't have anything else to bolt it to.

Most all new activations come with free installation, and if you can't get a decent signal, they will let you out of the contract. I would just let the installer worry about it, instead of acquiring/buying a used dish to "test" for a signal.

I can wholeheatedly recommend DirecTV service with a DVR powered by TiVo. The TiVo part runs $4.99 a month, and it well worth it. The DVR is available for FREE with new service. All the equipment is basically given to you as a new subscriber, so you really have nothing to lose. The DVR rules, it WILL change forever the way you watch TV.

Peter

2dim

Enlightened
One dish can be used for multiple receivers, so you may want to see if a neighbor above your apartment wants to share and mount the antenna there. BTW, can TIVO be used without the $4.99. What service does that money buy?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get more than one receiver, they are also $4.99 each, (DTV mirroring fee, the $4.99 TiVo fee covers all your receivers) and they all have to be connected to the same phone line.

TiVo features cannot be used without paying the fee. TiVo allows you to do many things, including recording "Season Passes" of your favorite programs with a couple clicks of the remote. You can choose to ignore re-runs if you like too. Even if the date or time of the show changes, it will be recorded. TiVo also gives you the ability to search two weeks into the upcoming guide. You can search by keyword, actor, director, sports team, themes, etc. It's basically a search engine for your TV. You can also pause live TV, FF, rewind, slo-mo, instant replay, skip commercials, and more. A really unique feature of the TiVo is it's ability to "learn" what you like to watch. It will record "suggestions" for your review, which you "vote" with a series of thumbs up or thumbs down. The more you rate it's suggestions, the "smarter" it gets. Mine finds and records programs for me that I would never find otherwise. It's really quite amazing. It's suggestions will never interfere with your preferences though, it only does this as space and free time permit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The DTV DVR is unique in that you can feed it two sat inputs and have the ability to record one show, while watching another. You can even record two different shows while watching a third previouly recorded one.

Another bonus is the relative ease of upgrading the hard disc for more recording time. I have three TiVos and all have been upgraded to over 100 hours. It's nice to not have to worry about running out of room.

More details can be found at TiVo.com

Peter

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been in contact with radio shack in regard to this earlier this year and they said its a 50 buck service charge if they can not get a signal. I wont have to worry about the contract and what not, but just be out 50 bucks. I rather not mount it outside, as I can not go out there with my wheelchair and the apartment above me is empty. Either way they have strick codes here in regards to using a dish network. Basically it can not be attached to any part of the apartment and if you do the bucket install, you must have clearance from them, 100k dollars in insurance and some other things.

My idea was to sit the antenna inside the apartment behind the window in the back part of the inside part of the glass door of the patio. I get xm and sirius just fine through the wall if not the window and kind of assumed the glass had little effect on the transmissions for the service.

So, until I can be sure it would work or the dealer who isntalls it would try that, that is why I wanted to test it.

2dim

Enlightened
I know there are devices that measure signal strength and are used for aiming dishes. You can probably find one, maybe from a store that allows returns...try the 'yellow pages'.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know all the details of the aforementioned FCC regulation, but I do know that the crux of it is that it grants you the right to mount a satellite antenna in your own (non common) area without intereference from your landlord, condo assoc. etc. They *may* be able to stipulate that you can't mount to the structure, but I don't see how they could require you to have a 100K insurance policy to fill a bucket with cement and put it on your porch (especially on the first floor). That sounds like harassment to me, which is the point of the FCC ruling in the first place.

2dim is correct about the signal meter, but you still need to mount a dish to use it.

As far as I know, RatShack only sells Dish Network systems, not DirecTV. Both are similar, but I would recommend DTV over DN, strictly on the strength of DTV's DVR's features.

I got my system online, and installed it myself, but I could have had free installation if I wanted it. The paperwork stated that I could return the equipment if installation was not possible due to no signal. I have heard that it's a crapshoot as far as the installers competency and attitude. Some are happy to try custom stuff, others are not.

You can do a preliminary site survey by going to DirecTV.com and putting in you zip code. This will give you the heading and elevation to point your dish. With the heading (and a compass) you should be able to get a good idea if you can see the birds. Just look at the proper heading, and then see if you have a clear view from about 50 to 70 degrees vertical. If you do, you're probably good to go. If you mount the dish inside, the roof overhand could be a potential problem.

Good luck. Also, you can check out the DirecTV with TiVo community forum here. They are a friendly bunch and can help you with questions about the FCC ruling, installation, DirecTV vs. Dish Network, and anything else you might want to know. You could probably even find someone in your area who may be able to offer personal, in person assistance. Great bunch of guys (and girls) over there, much like here.

Peter

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Wonder if I can rent a meter and if a used dish antenna is any easier to come by than a complete tuner?

I assumed, but have not looked to see if any are up for cheap on flea bay or some site or garage sales. I have no intentions of using it for service, just to find if i can get a signal for one to work. I may install the antenna so the installer could just plug it in than give me grief about wanting it inside.

I will ask on that forum too.

2dim

Enlightened
Here in Toronto there are private companies and individuals that offer installation services. Perhaps you can find one of them to check out receception, without going to the trouble and expense of buying anything until you know.