CR2 vs. CR123

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm assuming the only advantage to CR123 over CR2 cells is that you get more life and runtime, however the CR2 wins on size. Assuming that's the case, what do you folks prefer to use of these 2-types of cells? I used to be against the CR2 cell, however I think I'm starting to like them more and more.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too....
It would be nice to see more (affordable) personal lights that use the CR2..now that we notice more discount sources for the cell.

Also, recently noticed near-future availability of rechargable CR2 from Slavin et al..

Did somebody mention it's availability at Fry's?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi....

I am thinking of a 3 Nichia / 3 Chi-Wing LED Light being driving 20 mA Each with a simple Twisti Switch would offer a Great Runtime & Brightness & Size.... Brightness comparable to may be Oplec New Beam :p & Runtimes likely around 6-12 Hours considering Highly efficient (97% - 99.8%) Capacitor Boost Circuit for running the lights.

Too Bad.. I do not have any experiance in building that kind of things... but Why dont Peak LED and others try to work on it?

I Bet It would be a GREAT Success .. for being so small yet sooo useful....

Manufacturers & Modders Think about this... I have already done concept Design in CAD .... could even give out 3D Model for CAM Processing..... if any one is interested...

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

cy

Flashaholic
I've been running a CR2 sized Li-ion, works great. will not support as much load as 14430 using the same driver.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a CR2 Sized Li-Ion, I think we wont even be needing a driver circuit (if it is a protected CR2 sized Li-Ion) .... isnt it ?this will make the size of light further small...

Oh.. by the way Lithium CR2's are now cheap too.... they cost $2 Locally, I am sure there would be a place where we could get em for may be even less...

ViReN

cy

Flashaholic
one off CR2 light made for me by Larry, coupled with Li14430's head w/CR2 li-ion.

This little light is almost as bright as 14430, but has a three stage switch. CR2 li-ion will not support as much load as 14430 cell. Hince slightly dimmer using the same head.

This may be the new state of the art in small lights.

cr2 14430.JPG

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
kool... Luxeon's 1 Watters or even LuxeonIII(which is basically a 1Watter with better thermal management) will give a good output.. but then runtimes will be far less isnt it?

srue

Newly Enlightened
I am highly in favor of the CR2 cell. I wish more lights took advantage of their small size. I'm particularly looking forward to Larry's CR2II, if it ever becomes publicly available. The disadvantages, as mentioned, are shorter runtime and lower load-bearing ability (and therefore brightness). But for EDC lights (for example) size is much more important than runtime or brightness. Also, lithium-ion versions of the cell increase the load capacity and make runtime less of an issue.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
srue said:
I am highly in favor of the CR2 cell. I wish more lights took advantage of their small size. I'm particularly looking forward to Larry's CR2II, if it ever becomes publicly available. The disadvantages, as mentioned, are shorter runtime and lower load-bearing ability (and therefore brightness). But for EDC lights (for example) size is much more important than runtime or brightness. Also, lithium-ion versions of the cell increase the load capacity and make runtime less of an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

What brand is the "lithium" version that you refer to? Are they DP brand from BatteryStation?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
frankly ... I'd go with CR123 every day since most of the lights I own really need power and runtime and the bigger size won't matter that much when you have a 27mm reflector anyway....

.... except for very small keychain lights where my FireFly has a significant disadvantage when compared to the CR2 II ... in this application I'd go CR2 any day.

bernhard

srue

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
[ QUOTE ]
srue said:

[/ QUOTE ]

What brand is the "lithium" version that you refer to? Are they DP brand from BatteryStation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you meant "lithium-ion," by which I meant rechargeable, and I actually don't have any yet. I was generalizing from my experiences with R123's (lithium-ion), as compared to regular primary cell CR123's (lithium).

Latest posts