How to get rid of cigarette smell in new condo?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a condo from seller who was a smoker and you can smell it when you walk in. I realize painting the walls over would probably make a difference but that isn't going to happen for awhile. I did steam clean the carpets but what methods are there available for neutralizing the cigarette smell?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'd get a ION (ozone) generator, something like this.. They are used to get fire/smoke smells out of buildings that have been burned, cooking smells, etc...

I keep meaning to get one, but they are pretty spendy (around $400 for this model). Maybe worth checking out on eBay or somewhere else?

Anyone know much about these and/or a good source at a good price?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also have to wash the walls. Yep, it's work, but it helps. Try a product called Dirtex. Be advised, a little works better than too much. My family used to own apartments that we rented to little old ladies. They baked and cooked a ton, but never wiped anything down. The door knobs were pretty bad so we soaked them in a solution of Grease Relief and Dirtex. We waited about 20 minutes, but that was too long. It ate through the grease alright. And the paint. And started in one the brass! Reading the directions might have helped, huh?

Elmie

Enlightened
Ya get one of those Ionic Breeze thingies from Sharper Image. Works wonders. I have one for my cats litter room and it got rid of all that nasty S*** smell.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: How to get rid of cigarette smell in new condo

Rent an industrial ozone machine. That's what we used in the apt. complex I used to work whenever we wanted to get rid of cigarrette smell. Oh, yeah, deep-clean the carpets... twice.

Mrd 74

Enlightened

A couple of open boxes of baking soda will help to absorb some of the odour.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another short term solution is Ozium, an air sanitizer that really does work. Used in hospitals, nursing homes, etc. Smells like a mild dish soap. BTW, use very sparingly. A tiny spray goes a long way. You can find it in auto parts shops and supermarkets.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

try Living Air XL-15 Air Purifier ozone machine,I'm a smoker,cigarette and cigar,buy nobody can smell it in my house. Go on ebay,much cheaper than store.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Elmie said:
Ya get one of those Ionic Breeze thingies from Sharper Image. Works wonders. I have one for my cats litter room and it got rid of all that nasty S*** smell.

[/ QUOTE ]
I went through two of those (the large ones) in about 18 months. They just quit working. Sharper Image did a good job of replacing the first one, but when the second one broke they were no help whatsoever. It was still under warranty but their customer service had gone so far down hill in the few months since the first unit quit working that I just gave up on the second one.

I still had time left on the warranty but having already gone through two defective units and a totally dysfunctional customer support office I decided that life was way too short for me to waste any more of mine on the Ionic Breeze.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Might Ozium work for the truck I'm using? It has fabric seats and the cab smells of ciggies from the former user.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why would you want to get rid of that smell???? Just messing with ya, I use febreeze when folks come to visit to knock it down. Where i live they just paint and put in new carpet and that seems to get rid of it. Then you got a paint smell to deal with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I find smoking a great way to get rid of the paint smell, BTW.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Along with everything else, there's just opening up the windows and airing things out with an good exhaust fan- Nothing like fresh air circulation to improve air quality (though that may depend on where you live though- ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

E

EchoSierraTwo

start smoking, you'll probably wont notice it after a while. hehehe just kidding. If you haven't tried already, the walls may need deodorizing : 1 Tbs baking soda + 1 tsp lemon juice to 2 cups hot tap water in a spray bottle. Keep on as long as the paint/wall paper doesn't get ruined (test in a hidden area). You can also deodorize with 1/4 cup baking soda (Arm & Hammer is o.k. - I get them in a large 10+ lb box)in hot tap water in a 2- gallon bucket and sponge on lightly. This much will clog a nozzle in a bottle.
I assume you've steam-cleaned & shampooed the carpet and upholstery. If not, or you can't afford it, you could sprinkle baking soda all over the carpets and leave overnight. Next, shampoo carpets and upholstry with: a 1/4 cup of a vegetable-oil- based liquid soap (i.e from Trader Joe's or any natural grocery store), and 5 gallons of water. Adjust depending on the volume taken by the shampooing machine you rent. If you decide to add some essence in the water (usually oil-based), beware not to add more than a 1/4 tsp. to 5 gallons of water, since oil will bind with the soap, making the soap less effective in solubilizing other oily substances in the carpet and removing it. Depending on the hardness of your water, if you get too much foam, decrease the amount of liquid soap or add a bit more of the essence based in oil. Next load of hot water, add less soap. If you want the convenience of a prepared bottle, you can purchase from Grany's at 818-577-1825 orAFM at 1-909-781-6860. Both in CA

For air deodorizing, try bowls of baking soda in several areas of the room or bowls of vinegar, or bags or zeolite, a natural mineral found near volcanoes. Get it from Dasun Company 1-800- 433-8929.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, I just spray my walls with febreeze and floors. Small apartment so it does not take long and a bottle does my whole apartment twice. I get the regular blue or green colored stuff.

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened

I recommend smoking a couple of cheapo cigars... that cigarette smell will not be noticeable. Seriously, febreeze the carpets and curtains, clorox the hard surfaces, and go to Home Depot and get some "Natural Magic" Odor Absorbing Gel containers (@$5.00) and place them around the condo.

HTH
Dave

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whatever you do, you should not forget to address the ceilings. Cleaning or better yet repainting the ceilings will help. Yes, the paint smell can be worse than the smoke smell for a while. There are new low-VOC paints that do not smell, though. One I tried is Dutch-Boy brand "Kids Room" paint from Sears. It was great.

Also, if there are any curtains or blinds left from the previous occupant, these may need to be cleaned as well.

Luff

Enlightened

You won't get rid of the smell, even after using an ozone machine, cleaning the carpet twice, washing the walls and painting the ceiling unless you remember to have your air conditioning vents & ducts cleaned. Replace the filters, too.

Good luck!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Consumer Reports said those ionic breeze things Shaper Image sells do next to nothing.

Latest posts