10 - 4 Good Buddies

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomorrow, 10-4-04, will be my one year anniversary of joining the CPF.

For you younguns on the CPF, back in the olden days of the 1970's, when CB radios were popular, (I never had one) the phrase: 10 - 4 good buddy was commonly heard. One's on-air name was called a "handle" rather than the "username" of today's internet world.

It's been a fun year on the CPF and the diversion helped to keep what little sanity I have from going completely down the drain. For most of the past year, my wife and I have been unemployed, and the CPF's great members have helped keep my spirits up. Man, have we got some great members!

I just began what seems to be an interesting (great actually) job where regular flashlight use is necessary. If this one lasts, I may even get to retire some year.

The CPF remains my only internet forum - it doesen't get better than this. Thanks, everybody!

Jay

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You've got a good CPF anniversary (or CPF birthday) coming up then, especially if you are or were into CB. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
o o I think I have to sign off 10-100. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

StuU

Enlightened
Jayflash-
It's great having you on CPF. Your enthusiasm and posts are first-class. Temporary unemployment is a common situation in the fast-changing global economy.............

And your open-minded outlook is greatly appreciated in the new "Patriot Act" America.

Stu

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I still remember the days I was into CB radio. Had a liscense and still have two cb radios for cars one a cobra 29gtl
and a whopper magnetic mount antenna. But CB radio became just like most internet based chat places.... full of bored garbage minded idiots looking for someone to torment. I have been reading the CPF forum for close to a year now and just recently decided perhaps to participate as I find most people here well mannered and intelligently engaged in learning and communicating the passion of enLIGHTening others. yea bad PUN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
Now you got me thinking I should frame my CB liscense so I have something to show on an office wall to people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif
most people would wonder what it was since internet chat has essentially replaced the type of chat CB was in the 70s and 80s.
I too an unemployed but hopefully soon will be working, it is not easy to ignore half of the rants and raves here about all these lights when my budget is that of dollar stores right now and I was thinking about a new arc AAA too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif guess I will keep using the UKE 2AAA eled I EDC.

for now I will be 10-10 and listening in.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi,
You guys just hit a weak spot.

One of my first jobs was being a cb mechanic. I got to work on some very good stuff and a huge pile of crap. One of the neater ones were the Johnson radios. Not the Messenger 123's but the 40 channel syntho units. I like the SSB unit the best. Been looking for one for a while.

The Motorola units were all solid preformers with weak microphone elements.

The off the scale nuts units were the CPI's, they were something else.

Every so often I bid on an obscure but sold radio from Ebay.

I restore them to health and leave them on the shelf or give them to friends.

For this upcoming project "Mother of all road trips II" im at a loss. Either to bring the SSB Royce or the AM Johnson.

Still looking for a GE 5825 mobile SSB rig, now that was a solid radio.

Later dudes
Jack Crow in Iraq
with some surprising attitudes.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roger!

I have a ham licence LU8ACO, but I'm not in the air for almost a decade, of a few minutes if you consider a cellphone a radio station /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pablo

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
You've got a good CPF anniversary (or CPF birthday) coming up then, especially if you are or were into CB. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
o o I think I have to sign off 10-100. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive those of us who have never had the opportunity to experience it, but what's the meaning of 10-4 and 10-100?

Where I come from, 10/100 usually refers to Ethernet transmission speed...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bathroom breaks are important! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You learn something new every day here at CPF, it's like an education in itself.

Jayflash, congrats on your anniversary too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
congrats on the one year anniverery.
I am also have a ham radio license and still use a CB radio as I drive a lot of highway miles in a year, and yes one still finds all the ignorent idiots out there but they do tend to report where they saw a cop or if there is a trafic problem, my handle is if you have not guessed is "Draco".
I first got into CB in the late 1980's, had some cheap p.o.s taped to my peddle bike.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I played with side-band abit shooting skip "CQ CQ CQ DX CQ DX unit 118 North East Arkansas standing by" I miss it at times. I still have 2 Uniden Grant LT's and a Sears Roadtalker mobile and a D-104 mike around here somewhere.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, everyone, who shared a CB story or recognized my presence.

CPF members are of the greatest. Thanks for being my support group. Be assured, I treat you as family - for that I apologize.

If I may offer one observation - the CPF's members sure have a wide variety of backgrounds and personalities. This is a wonderfully engaging place to be.

Sorry for my outbursts, but as I mentioned - I consider you to be an (extremely) extended family.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, I've been here one day more than you. How do you have soooooo... many more post than me?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Happy Anniversary. Does 10-3 mean anything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Back in the early 1990s, I talked with somebody in Ohio from a downtown Seattle park on this puny little handheld. Atmospheric skip conditions must have been extremely favourable, considering this happened at approximately 2:00pm local time. Skip is a phenomenon that usually occurs at night.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Sinjz said:
...Does 10-3 mean anything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
10-3 means "Stop transmitting". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid in the 70s one of the meaner things I did and I was not a mean kid, was ocassionally "click the mike" on truckers. Admittedly now, it was an immature thing to do but I was only 12 or 13 or so. One trucker got mad and told me to shove that mike up my butt (he didn't say butt). I replied I didn't think it'd fit. He said, try some soap, you'd be surprised. I then answered back something like it sounds like you have experience in this matter. Oh the obscenities that came out of his mouth and over the air!

SSB is great. I never played with it back in the heyday but a couple of years ago saw my ham nephew talk from Vermont to Michigan on it on the middle of the day with good sound quality. He (from Vermont) said he's shot out to Missouri using SSB.