Have alook at this and tell me if im the bad guy

Samoan

Enlightened
Honestly...?

Took a look at your posting and I'm with their regulars. Typical newbie stuff. You didn't do *any* searches first. Be it for info on the stun gun, the attitude that the locals there have of stun guns, flashlights, or general defensive usage of a flashilight. You took some ribbing too seriously; ribbing that was caused by not following the most basic rule, search *THEN* ask. Then, in the classic nebie move, you insulted the entire forum even thoug a couple gave good advice.

I'm one of the calmer people on almost all the boards and groups I post to, but I would have reacted just like they did.

You walked in and acted like an ***.

-F

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what the problem is. Some of the responses are rude and not at all helpful, while others are trying to point you to reference material so you can help yourself.

When I go to a new forum and ask for advice I often state what research I've already done and that I've still had no luck. What this does is establish that I'm interested enough to do some footwork first and not some guy that just shows up and says help me, cause I'm too lazy to do it myself. (Let me say that is NOT what I'm saying you are)

Anyway glad you are here and found us welcome aboard. I see you have 15 posts to your credit even though you've only been here a day or two.

What you'll find here in relation to self defense is something called a "tactical" flashlight. Basically these are flashlights that have an tremendous light output for their small size. So much so that they often temporarily blind or disorient a person allowing you time to escape or evade. Some characteristics are lithium batteries for steady high current output that operate under wide temp range and long storage, very high brightness/short runtime, wide beam spread (often called a wall of light), a momentary switch with push on, release off button on tailcap (so in an emergency you don't have to rotate light to find button). Usually small 4-6" in length.

"Surefire" pretty much popularized the concept probibly 15 years ago now.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, what a bunch of badasses they are.

The probability is that the only fights they were ever in were the ones back in school where everyone, including the girls, beat the crap out of them. Their tough talk is a result of repressed anger and developmental retardation. Notice how they all band together for safety, THEM against YOU?

It's best to stay away from people like that, they feel threatened by you.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Have alook at this and tell me if im the bad g

I would say they are all having a bad day, or something. SO what if they don't like stunguns....the ought to try and help you or just not post. I would help you if I could, but I don't know a thing about stun guns except they hurt.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess a lot of them were ticked by your deliberate use of that word... you know, 't starts with a f.
It just makes a bad first impression; sadly, if you hadn't said some of the stuff you said, I'd feel these guys are exactly what you called them.

aussielextsy

Newly Enlightened

thanks for ur input guys.. so without searching can anyone tell me how the cases on a stungun are attached? lol

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

what a bunch of idiots

most of the car forums(not all)are the same way

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened

Look at the side of the stungun, there is a top half and a bottom half. Pry the sections apart with a screwdriver... that is, if you guys in Australia are allowed to have them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

HTH
Dave

-Oh yea, forgot to mention... I don't know anything about stunguns... just that most plastic housings without visible screws usually just snap together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

When you do get this thing apart be very sure that you don't touch anything on the inside. There are probably capacitors in there which are capable of killing you instantly. It happens every so often with electronic camera flashes when someone decides to tinker with them. I'm pretty sure a stun gun is not going to be any less powerful.

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened

aussie,
I was questioning the legality of owning a screwdriver in Australia, not the stungun! After all, one could easily attack someone with the screwdriver and poke an eye out or something... especially if it was a Philips screwdriver.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found the search feature under faq and it turned up nothing for muscleman or muscle man.

I am not completely surprised. That is the mentality I have found online. Amazing despite knowing all these different ways to defend each other they are just a holes in the end. I guess that is why they need all those things to defend themselves as they can not fight?

I know of a guy who got a stun gun and wanted it to arc. Turned out stun guns do not arc, only tasers. He tried it on himself and woke up a half hour later on the floor covered in his own urine.

I think their advice, what little they gave was likely best. Punch with it in your hand so it sticks out a bit on one or the other side and make that part the point of contact to the person, not your hand than try to use it. I doubt you will have the coordination to use it or even grab it from your belt or pocket to use it.

Second, I wouldnt buy anything off of ebay, I hear of too few great stories.

greenLED

Flashaholic

CPF'ers are *generally* a much more civil bunch. Welcome.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

If yours stungun only hissed, it dead buy a new one, I got some stungun try it on myself and my friends to see it it work to knock down a person,it didn't, it only feel like a needle poking you. one of my stungun hissed, I pry it open, inside it got lots a capacitors,some of it die so it didn't hold enough charge power to stun.
Try using a surefire e2 with TID, you can defense yourself better with it than a stungun.

aussielextsy

Newly Enlightened

ok well ill pop it open and get this guy to fix it for me.
It was more a novelty item that a weapon. and as for laws in australia its ridiculos. Porbably the same as the UK self defense items are all banned. Anyway those gooses over at the self defense forums are still going on about it. They really must not have much to do

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

my stun gun make a loud crack and flash every 1/3 second or so

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing I've noticed about SOME people who are 'into' self defense is that they seem to have big inferiority complexes (usually they are also cop/military wannabees but they don't have the danglers to go join) and play dungeons and dragons in mommys basement. These people are real tough and mouthy when online or flicking you off driving down the highway , as long as they are safe, but really bring it to em and they won't look you in the eye. They are a bunch of poopy heads.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Danglers??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

since any one can have a gun I am nice to every one

guns the great equalizer

95 year old grandmas can blow away 17 year old 200 pound punks.

I am not knocking some one who studys martial arts and is in fantastic shape - more power to you