L1, L2, E1e, E2e with the KL5 Head

Flashdark

Enlightened
A funny thing happened after I received Doug Speck's E2C adapter - I started experimenting (Who'd a thunk it?). I screwed it on to every thread that would accept it and came up with some interesting combinations:

1. E1e/Z57/E2C/KL5 Head - A powerhouse 1-battery "distance" LED. Very interesting!!

2. E2e/Z57/E2C/KL5 Head - A waste of time. I get a thinner, lighter, but longer KL5 with less heatsink.

3. L1/E2C/KL5 Head - VERY interesting!!! A powerhouse 2-stage, 1-battery "distance" LED. I think a 2-stage tailcap from McGizmo on the E1e body would be a much better and shorter package if this is what you are seeking.

4. L2/E2C/KL5 Head - VERY interesting!!! What the L2 is to flood, this combo is to distance. However, a 2-stage tailcap on the KL5 1" body or on the E2e body with an E2C adapter would be a lot shorter and still do the same thing.

5. E2e/Z57/E2C/C2/P61. A lightweight pocket rocket of 120 lumens. A little longer than the C2 with less heatsink. It's the old story - just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I merely do BECAUSE I can. The C2 original is a better deal.

Except for the KL5 Head on the E1e, L1, or L2, I have not yet found any other WORTHY combinations. BUT, the sheer number of combinations is almost unlimited (Z2, 6P, 9P, M2, KL3, filters, etc.). I highly recommend this adapter for your inventory.

I realize that using a regulated body in the L1 or L2 to run the KL5 regulated head is working at cross purposes, but the results were impressive. The question is - am I hurting anything with these combinations? The KL5 head is made to accept 6 volts of unregulated power and the L1 or L2 should not send any more than this through to the KL5 head, so........??

Cudos for Doug Speck on service and quality.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
will the KL5 head fit the e1e or E2d light's without the Z57? and for throw what's better, a KL-5 or Kl-1 (or KL4)?
VDG

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
For better throw, you need a bigger reflector particularly with the Luxeon V. The KL5 will throw the furthest from the ones on your list.

Flashdark

Enlightened
Voodoogreg,

The Z57 is the click on/click off/lock out tailcap for the E series bodies.

The KL5 Head or any other head for the 1" body all require the E2C adapter to fit an E series body or the L1, L2, or L4. With this adapter, the KL5 will fit the E2d or the E1e.

The KL1 and KL4 are regulated flood heads. The KL5 is a regulated head that narrows down the beam angle with a deeper reflector cavity and it therefore throws quite a bit farther than the KL4 and much farther than the KL1, yet still has a good sidespill for partial flood effect.

Hope this helps.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Flashdark said:
Voodoogreg,

The Z57 is the click on/click off/lock out tailcap for the E series bodies.

The KL5 Head or any other head for the 1" body all require the E2C adapter to fit an E series body or the L1, L2, or L4. With this adapter, the KL5 will fit the E2d or the E1e.

The KL1 and KL4 are regulated flood heads. The KL5 is a regulated head that narrows down the beam angle with a deeper reflector cavity and it therefore throws quite a bit farther than the KL4 and much farther than the KL1, yet still has a good sidespill for partial flood effect.

Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's does i think I got the #'s/letter's wrong on the adapter. so with that adapter, I could run the -5 on a e1 or 2 body? VDG

Foss

Newly Enlightened
This looks great. What is the smallest 1 cell LED
Surefire you made mixing and matching?

Flashdark

Enlightened
Foss,

SMALLEST would be the E1e/Z52(original tailcap)/KL4. Otherwise known as the TW-4 with the Z52 lockout tailcap(original E1e tailcap). I would recommend the Z57 "clickie" instead for convenience. 30-45 minutes of very bright LED flood before it dims back to the KL-1 output level.

Hope this helps.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks FD, I do intend to buy a e1E and a head. throw is my particular "thing", so i do want to explore all the possablities. VDG