Why I now really REALLY like my Opalec Newbeam!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found a GREAT use for my Opalec Newbeam Mini Mag conversion.

Earlier, I posted a question of how cost efficent the Opalec is, compared to the Princeton Tec Attitude. (Both are 3 LED lights) The Attitude is 17.95, whereas the Opalec is 27.95 plus shipping plus the cost of a Maglight. I added a tailcap, and that brought the price up to about 45$.

The purpose of this post is not to bring up the Attitude/Opalec discussion again, you can read about and comment about that here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002358

The reason for this post, is that my Opalec Newbeam will NEVER get a new set of batteries!

Because of the unique "red" LED low battery indicator, all of my used AA batteries will now go into a box, and will be fed to my Opalec. I have put several "used" AA batteries into my Opalec Newbeam, and, lo and behold, the red LED did not come on!

Because of the DC to DC converter and voltage regulation, even though the Opalec will get "used" batteries, it will give me full brightness until the red LED comes on.

This is a really cool feature, and I don't know how expensive it is to implement, but this is a feature that I would like to see in future lights!

So, while more expensive than another 3 LED light (the attitude, which BTY takes 4 AAA batteries), this light will allow me to use up batteries that I would have otherwize thrown away, and give me "full brightness" until the red led comes on.

While not the brightest LED light I own, (I have a Lambda Illuminator and a ARC LS Second) I actually prefer this light for midnight excursions about the house.

OH, BTY, even though this is a "modified" light, since both lights are comercial products, I thought I would post this here, instead of on the "modified" forum.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the same theroy as useing the X5 or the ARC LS; to recycle & use the last of the 123 batteries. Even though the Inova isn't regulated, you still get a lot of useable light from a set of "used" batteries. Same thing with the Pal light if you change batteries in your smoke detector every year. TX

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
In my opinion, the NewBeam is a fantastic piece of engineering, which is why it received a full 5-star rating on my site. Only two or three products have ever rated that high, and one of them arguably doesn't even belong there anymore because it simply isn't the best anymore - I'm referring to the original Turtlelite of course.

As for others, I think the aluminum Limited Edition Expedtion 1900 is aiming that way (cost may knock it down a peg though), and the new Eternalight Elite X-ray is beginning to look like a candidate for that coveted position as well. I also received a "new and improved" Expedtion 300 that's looking to get higher marks than its predecessor.

But for now, only the Opalec, Arc-LE, and Turtlelite occupy that spot.