The smallest LED light ...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
... I have:

cornelius1.jpg

It is a custom-made brass light housing a 5mm RGB LED. It has some holes in the body at the top end to allow some light to escape ... looks like this:

corneliuslit.jpg

The LED has a frosted dome to blend the colors better. It is driven in DD by 3 x AG-5 coin cells and has nothing special about it ... not even watertight or anything else sophisticated.

EXCEPT for the size ...

corneliussize.jpg

... and its intended use:
You can spin it like a gyroscope (correct word?) to create really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif light effects in conjunction with the RGB LED that slowly fades between the colors (and does not flash or change colors rapidly):

corneliusgyro2.jpg

corneliusgyro1.jpg

Nothing too groundbreaking here ... except the price and the light being handmade ... it's just cute and beautiful IMHO.

bernhard

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Cool, Bernie!!! I have a few of the LEDs and was wondering what one could do with them.

Larry

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
That's really neat ! . Now that the cooler weather is starting to set in, and the days are getting short, I'd like to try my hand at some cool creations too.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a pen I got for $2.00 awhile back with 3 super tiny LEDs in it... red,green,blue that runs off of I think LR44 batteries and cycles randomly all 3 colors at once. it is cool to watch the colors it changes to.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
With all this high-end super stuff around here I find it relaxing to have something like this show up from time to time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...
bernhard

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I received this tiny LED flashlight from a man in Sweden approximately one month ago:

tiny001.jpg

It uses a 3mm white LED and four AG3 button cells.
It's that blue and black thing below the Photon Freedom Micro in this photograph.

This is the smallest LED flashlight I've ever come across.

KingSmono

Enlightened
You should find a way to attach it to a string. Then turn all of the lights out, and twirl the string making streaks of light that change color! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Smono

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
that is probably the smallest you can get with any sort of decent light output I would guess. Maybe someone will put a dorcy circuit on one ag3 cell (or solder an ag3 on a dorcy board) and light a sawed off 3mm led if that is possible.
you could use a reed switch and a magnet on a ring and it would switch on mysteriously only when you used it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

McShawn

Enlightened
Wow those are both some cool micro lights, hard to imagine them so small. Really neat, I like the small unique lights myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The flashing LED earring gizmos with surface mount LED's use even tinier coin cells and are maybe smaller overall, but would probably poop out pretty fast if you left them on steadily.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey Craig ... yours is smaller than mine ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And yeah, forgot about those blinky thingies ... they're quite miniscule indeed!
bernhard

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Hey Bernhard ... yours is cooler (or "kewler") than mine ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif