Need advice on if this is a good price

aussielextsy

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I am a new member from Sydney, Australia and have been toying witht he idea of importing leadlight GPL105 laser pointers directly from Leadlight in taiwan.

I have been in contact with a representative over there and have been given an approx price of $40USD per unit. That price is on the basis I purchase approximately 200 units.

I can get these in ACC in the 5 - 7mw range.

Shipping will add a few hundred but for about $7500USD i can get 180 units delivered to me in Australia.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal ?

I am sorry if i am impeding on anyones business here I will be selling them in Australia in a store or door to door.

Anyway thanks and awaiting your replies.

Myx

Newly Enlightened
its the same in the UK as far as I know, but no-one really cares...

If you want to get a 5mW green in the UK (or import one), you'll have no problem - despite (as far as I remember) our legal limit being 1mW...

its just quite hard to find an "old type" Leadlight over here.... as WickedLasers and YorkshireWarehouse account for most of the Uk's green laser pointers, as far as I can tell. Skyline Select only seems to officially sell 1mW's within UK..

They stock Lightvision, Changchun and the "new" Leadlight...

So in short, your legal limit is probably 1mW like ours... but thats not stopping people selling 5mW greens over here..

DaFiend

Enlightened
This is all i can find, and it doesn't relate to actually importing lasers, its from the "Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Saftey Agency". there are some laws in W.A. though. I've pasted it after the stuff from "ARPNSA"

Hazard Classification of Laser Products
Australian Standard 2211 "Laser Safety" of 1991 (AS 2211-1991) defines a hazard classification scheme for laser products based upon the level of laser radiation to which human access is possible together with design, labelling and user information requirements applicable to the specific laser class and the intended use of the product. Under the AS 2211 hazard classification scheme, the laser product hazard categories may be summarized as follows:
Class 1 laser products are considered safe under reasonably foreseeable conditions of operation.

Class 2 laser products are low power devices that emit visible light (and may also emit invisible radiation up to the Class 1 limit); they are not completely safe but eye protection is normally afforded by aversion responses including the blink reflex. They are not capable of causing injury to the skin.

Class 3A laser products emit higher levels of radiation and more stringent precautions are required than those necessary with Class 2 laser products. They differ from Class 2 products in that they emit more power in a beam of larger cross-section, so that when the output is directly viewed, the power of the beam entering the eye does not exceed that of a Class 2 product (the pupil diameter is assumed to be 7 mm). However, if the beam is viewed through larger diameter collecting optics (e.g. binoculars) then the hazard is usually increased.
Figure 1: Class 3A laser radiation can be collected and concentrated by viewing aids so as to increase the hazard to the eye

Class 3B (Restricted) laser products are similar to Class 3A except that the irradiance (power density) limit is increased. See AS 2397 for specific use requirements for Class 3B (Restricted) laser products used in the construction industry for surveying, levelling, and alignment applications.

Class 3B laser products emit either invisible or visible radiation and direct viewing is hazardous to the eye. Class 3B laser products are capable of causing eye injury either because their output is invisible and therefore aversion responses are not activated or because the beam power is such that damage is done in a time shorter than the blink reflex (0.25 s). Higher power laser products in this class may also cause skin burns. However, with laser wavelengths other than those in the ultraviolet region, the pain produced by rapid heating of skin would usually lead to an aversion response sufficient to avoid such burns.

Class 4 is the most hazardous classification (AEL is not applicable). Laser products in this class are high power devices capable of causing injury to the eyes and skin. Diffuse reflections may also be hazardous.

The AS 2211 classification scheme relies on specifications governing the following areas:

Compliance with the specified accessible emission limit (AEL) of laser radiation applicable to the particular class.

Additional engineering design features appropriate to the particular class.

The provision of specific written safety information to the user (incorporated into the instruction manual).

Labelling requirements (warning labels).

Here's the stuff about W.A.

Hazard Alert - Laser Pointer Warning
Legislative Requirements for Laser Pointers
Laser pointers, whilst a useful training tool, can present a hazard capable of causing harm to eyes. They have recently become relatively common and have unfortunately been misused on humans. A recent incident in Western Australia resulted in permanent eye damage to a 12 year old boy.

As from 1 June 2000 it will be an offence under the WA Radiation Safety Act to manufacture, sell, possess or use a laser pointer with a classification exceeding Class 1 or Class 2 as defined in Australian/New Zealand Standard 2211:1997.

Laser pointers are effective tools when used properly. The following considerations should be observed when using laser pointers:

Use only laser pointers with AS/NZS 2211 classification Class 1 or Class 2
Class 2 lasers are labelled "Caution: Laser Radiation. Do not stare into the beam. Class 2 Laser Product."
Never look directly into the laser beam.
Never point a laser beam at a person.
Do not aim the laser at reflective surfaces.
Do not allow children to use laser pointers unless under the supervision of an adult.
For further information contact the Safety and Health Office on 6488 3938 or 6488 7932.

Dunno if that will help you out at all. if does it sounds like it will help me out cause i'm in Australia too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif