LED book light recos, please?

Villager

Newly Enlightened
Hi, all,

I'd like to buy a LED book light for my wife for Christmas. My goals are:

* Reasonably durable
* Takes AA (preferred) or AAA batteries
* Compact size
* Enough light to read by, but not so much as to disturb the hubby's sleep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

- Villager

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CandlePowerForums, Villager.

Search on key word "book" for other discussions on this topic.

How about a fluorescent instead of an LED? I've heard these are good and have wanted one for a while. I believe brightnorm gave good returns on it.

B000095RB4.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

tr08bl.jpg

At this price I may have to go ahead and get one.
Phorm light at Amazon

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
My wife uses an LED booklight by Zelco. We bought it at Costco for under $20.
It looks like they may not be selling her exact model, but they have a similar one at www.zelco.com .

Her's has two white LEDs side by side. They are very bright and very white. The whole thing folds into a small rectangular box, maybe 1x1x4 inches.

She reads at night after I fall asleep and generally gets a week of reading off a single set of 4 AAA NiMH batteries. She's a night owl and will read 2 to 4 hours per night.

Because it belongs to her, I've not opened it up to see if it has any circuitry inside.

Daniel

Villager

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I checked the Amazon reviews for the Phorm light. Although mostly positive, there seem to be some reliability problems (and also there is no AC adapter available.)

Many people have noted reliability problems with the Zelco lights. I have the Itty Bitty Book Light (incandescent bulb) and have been able to keep it running by babying it. (Bulb keeps working its way loose and the wires inside the stem can twist.) For a present, I'd rather buy something that doesn't need to be babied.

Cheers,
- Villager

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to Office Depot and buy the Energizer Folding LED light. It has two LED's in white tubes which make it look like a fluorescent. It can run on either one or both LED's. It uses four AA batteries and should run darn near forever on the first set. It sells for 3.29 and is by far the best value around, bar none.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally use a LED headlamp for a book light. It seems to work at least as well as a dedicated book light, but it is also handy for so many other things. There are countless choices and many threads about them. On the other hand it is quite possible that your wife may not like wearing a headlamp.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh, didn't he say this was for his wife? And as a present? And ya wonder why divorce rates are high...

Might want to look at a FlipLight, a NightOwl Booklight, or a LightWedge. Any search engine should turn them up for you. Prices range from about $10 to about $50.

The LightWedge is a bit bulky (I think there is a "paperback" version) and care has to be taken not to scratch it, but it even has red as an alternative color for the light.

The FlipLight looks a little lightweight (not quite flimsy, but...), but pretty nice style.

The NightOwl Booklight comes in different styles and even in different colored plastic versions.

Nothing from Tiffany or Michael Winston was found... yet.