Wire fuse replacement too dangerous?

2dim

Enlightened
Drilling and jackhammering has started on my side of the apartment building, so I hooked up one of those natural sound effects units to amplified speakers and cranked up max volume on the 'waterall' setting. Worked pretty good, like white noise, for awhile with 'World's Finest Earplugs' [34db] and gunshot protective headgear.

Forgot to turn down speaker volume before switching on and off, which blew the little 3/4 amp/125v inline fuse. Desperate, I've replaced it with twisted copper electrical wire. Seems OK, but thought I better check here with the experts, which I am as far from as anyone could conceivably imagine. Oh God, they've started again...lunch must be over. HELP!!!

Peter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet you put pennies in your fuse box too
Get the proper size fuse ASAP or you may need to replace the whole unit fuses are there for a reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
Thats a MASIVE fire hazard, you realy should replace that wire with a fuse of the correct value. I can't stress how important that is!

LED-FX

Enlightened
Twisted wire, sawn off bolts and of course silver paper the magic multi fuse...

There all bodges that will get you through

BUT

they eliminate the protection the fuse is there to give you, if something goes wrong further down the line, now something else will blow istead of the fuse, eeek.

Do not leave it switched on unattended, until you replace the fuse with the correct one, as long as no fault develops it won`t make any differnce. But Mr Murphy has laws about such things....

Adam

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Your wire will let the unit work, but it will not protect it. If you repeat your mistake it is likely to burn something up in your amp.

I'd run to radio shack, walmart, kragens, etc for a new one. They are cheap. Very cheap. Besides, it will get you away from that noise!

It's never a good idea to replace a fuse with anything except an identical fuse, even a fuse that's just a little higher rating.

Daniel

2dim

Enlightened
Thanks. So if I'm careful to turn down the volume before shutting the amplified speakers off, everything should be OK?

2dim

Enlightened
Thanks. Can't leave now without taking the cat and no gas in the car. Those gas prices should go down any day now...maybe tomorrow, eh? Guess using max volume, long as turn it down before shutting off power, won't affect the risk?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, they're all urban myths. I do it all the time. Hmmm, what's that smell? And why are those sirens getting louder and louder?

Bad idea. Remove the wire now.

Simple Question of the Day: Which of these is better -- seeing if you have good fire insurance, finding out if you like to replace stereo equipment that gets shorted out, or dealing with the noise until you can get a box of fuses?

BTW, take the cat for a stroll. Cats like that.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lasernerd said:
haa I heard this story about a guy who put a 22Lr shell in his pickup`s fuse box well you know what happens next
bang bullet went in his gut!

[/ QUOTE ]

They did a show about that exact urban legend on the Discovery Chanel, a show called Myth Busters. Not going to tell you their results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2dim ...... get the correct replacement fuse.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
most transformers have a fuse in the primary
winding
so it is not that dangerous
I would still replace the fuse

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
the fuse in "some" transformers is usaly a thermal fuse that will open if the transformer overheats, in older and some cheaper units they some times have that thermal fuse or they some times don't. That fuse is mostly non-replaceable as well(with a will and a way it can still be replaced with some effort) Also when I have seen customers do that with wire or aluminum foil and turn up the volume and something gets overloaded and the fuse fails to open, they end up blowing the snot out of the powersupply and/or the amp sections. I belive we used to call it the ASA 2 million fuse option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

2dim

Enlightened
Well, the weapons of mass construction have stopped for the day, without further incident. Cat seems to be adapting to the noise better than me, since she hasn't thrown up yet. Tomorrow they'll probably be smashing my balcony, so I'll have no choice. Peter and the puss will have to vamoose. Hate to leave the fridge and TV, but what's a guy to do, eh? Anyway, although that .22 shell idea sounded pretty good, I'll be getting a new fuse and you'll all be able to relax. Hate being forced out of my own home...