55 cent red LED keychain light at Lowe's

Andre

Newly Enlightened
55 cent red LED keychain light at Lowe\'s

Not sure if these are on sale at every Lowe's, but at the one in Bellevue, WA (just off Northup near the 405/I-5 interchange), they had a whole box of these for $.55 each.

Here's a pic (assuming this works
smile.gif

img004.jpg

(No, they're not selling FreeLighs for 55 cents, mine came in the mail today so I tossed it on the scanner with the other light for size comparison. And no, I don't have a digital camera, but if it's flat enough, my flatbed scanner can fake it!
grin.gif
)

The keychain is made of some type of soft plastic, and can be pried open pretty easily with your fingers. Inside are two GP189 alkaline button cells (those alone are probably worth 55 cents).

The red LED itself is bright, but I swapped it out for an orange-red 8000mcd Toshiba LED I had laying around. That seems about 1.5x as bright as the original LED, but the beam pattern isn't quite as even (you can kind of see the die pattern in the beam). The original led had a light pattern like a red ball with a red ring around it. (Sorry, I can't scan that.
tongue.gif
)

Andre

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: 55 cent red LED keychain light at Lowe\'s

I think I've seen those "star lites" at the Freddys on Capitol Hill. I think they were $2 or $3 apiece last time I actually looked at them around this time last year. Maybe they're less now.