Dead LSHF-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TDK

I received my new LSHF-P by post this morning, but am dismayed to find that it is apparently dead on arrival! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I've tried several new batteries and even a 2xAA battery pack, but nothing - not even a flicker.

What worries me is that the head of the flashlight rattles very slightly, with or without a battery installed, and after reading the forum I'm wondering if the emitter has become detached from the board?

With Arc now gone and no new LSH's available I would really like to get this light working rather than just return it to the retailer for a refund.
Are the LSH's hard to disassemble and fix? I'm happy using a soldering iron, but don't want to wreck the light in the process of getting it apart.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks...Simon.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sell it!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif PM me with a price..

I fixed an LS1 and it took me 45 minutes to get the first ring out. Its a real pain. But if you want to sell it to me i'll buy it. Or, if you want to send it to me to try to fix. My LS1 had the exact same problem. Only difference is that my light would come on every now and then.

Shane

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing to try would be to snug the lockring up in a clockwise direction. "Snug" is the operative word, you can damage it if you overdo it. If that doesn't fix it, I would recommend sending it to someone to be looked at. I wouldn't recommend trying to do it yourself if you've never taken one apart.

I would be happy to look at it for you, and there are others listed here somewhere.

Peter

cy

Flashaholic
Since your LS is dead, you have nothing to lose by opening.

With rattling either your board assembly is loose or you may have a sheared luxeon. If you lux is dead, then your 1618 chip is probably dead too.

first make a tool or purchase a internal retaining ring plier to fit the two small holes in locking ring.

then purchase a $1 strap wrench to hold head while torquing. depending upon luck of the draw, ring will be loctited down very solid or lightly loctited.

to release threadlocker, heat locking ring with soldering iron. according to loctite it takes 550F for green threadlocker. objective is to heat the locking ring without destroying anything else.

a simple collet can be made by milling a hole slightly smaller than dia of head between two flat pieces of wood.

I hope to be offering an exchange service/kit to convert dead ARC LS to ARC LS Modular platform.

T

TDK

Is there any particular tool for doing this?

Also, the retailer has now offered to switch the flashlight for a new one, so I may just take that route to getting a working light.

I would be interested in hanging onto this dead light for potential modding, but I can't afford to pay full price for something that may never work again!

Thanks...Simon.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way Cy is describing sounds like you'd need to put a lot of brute force against it and risk really tearing something up.

T

TDK

Thanks for the info about getting the LS apart - it sounds like it might be a bit tough!

The retailer has now offered to replace the light, so I've decided to go for that option as I really like the form factor of the LSH - even more so than my Arc4+. Plus, I've got a 123 twisty and 1AA pack winging their way to me as we speak and it would be a shame not to use them.

I'm going to try and buy the dead light from the retailer (if the price is right) so that I can have it modded at a later date. I've put my name down (in the other thread) for one of your mod kits, but might have to pay someone to install it if getting the light open proves very difficult.

Thanks...Simon.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although possible, a sheared Luxeon seems unlikely on a new unit. It could be one of the units that left Arc with no Loctite at all, and the ring has backed off breaking the electrical contact. If you have a pair of tweezers, just try tightening the ring a bit. Troubleshooting this will take less than 2 minutes.

Peter

T

TDK

The more I look at it (longing for it to work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif ) the more I think it probably is a sheared Luxeon.

The ring appears to be snugged down tight as there is no sign of the board moving when the head is rattling. Also, the ring is fixed solid as I cannot get it to move when I tried to tighten or loosen it with a pair of retaining ring pliers.

I would dearly love to get this light working, but I'm not prepared to damage it in the process, especially since the retailer has offered to replace it.

Thanks...Simon.

T

TDK

I've also just noticed that if I switch the flashlight on there is a very faint hissing coming from it which I can hear if I jam it right up to my ear - still no light though!

I'm guessing this is the electronics being powered, but the Luxeon not working.

Simon.

pyro

Enlightened
why don´t you ask your dealer for a special price?
You don´t get any warranty with the light and he cant sell
it, so maybe you get it for cheap and can buy a working one
and mod the defective unit while repairing it.
higher current and a reflector makes a very nice arcLS

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a used LSH-P. It works perfectly but has a rattle which can be heard with even very light shaking. The retaining ring and cicuit board are in place solidly. Does this necessarily mean that the Luxeon has broken loose and will eventually break its leads?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nikon, you're kinda hijacking the thread, but if it works, it's very unlikely to be the LED. It's soldered firmly to the board, but it's flex board which wraps around both sides of the aluminum disc heatsink. I'd say it's more likely the optic is loose, or a long shot, the flex board with the LED has come loose and is flapping. If so, the thermal bond of the LED is now gone and the LED would have a shortened life. The optic has its own retainer ring, so the light would have to be taken apart to inspect. If the optic is loose, water resistance at the front lens would suffer, since the optic holds the front lens in against the gasket.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what a strap wrench is. Could someone post a picture of what it looks like. thanks.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
billson, a simple search from google turn this up
hope it helps.

TDK, your LSHF-P would be one with only 1 part of the head, which means strap-wrenching won't get you anywhere, except perhaps holding the light down when you unscrew the retaining ring. My best advice would be to send it to someone pretty knowledgeable on the arc flashlight (can see it in the arcflashlight lifeline) and let them figure out what is wrong with yours. Or you can try fix it yourself, though that is not recommended as you are new to the light.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Louie.....Thanks for your answer.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Since the question I asked is so closely related to the original question I thought it would be better to post it here than to begin a new thread. That way all the info would be in the same place.

jpeg

Enlightened
I just dremmeled through my lockring. Last time I checked the shoppe had a few replacement rings available. PM Dat2zip and see if he has any left. Destroying the ring is not my first choice, but if you can't get it out gracefully, then at least you don't have to worry if you break it. Cheers...

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood, Nikon. Doesn't bother me, just some people like separate threads.

T

TDK

Thanks for all the advice regarding bringing a dead light back to life, but in the end I returned it to the retailer for exchange.

I have offered to buy the dead light back, but will have to wait and see what the retailer says.

[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
TDK, your LSHF-P would be one with only 1 part of the head, which means strap-wrenching won't get you anywhere, except perhaps holding the light down when you unscrew the retaining ring. My best advice would be to send it to someone pretty knowledgeable on the arc flashlight (can see it in the arcflashlight lifeline) and let them figure out what is wrong with yours. Or you can try fix it yourself, though that is not recommended as you are new to the light.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the retailer sells me the light then I'll certainly consider sending it to someone to get fixed or more likely use it to modify with the brightest and whitest light I can get! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks...Simon.

Status
Not open for further replies.