New Concept, Micro Mini Regulated Light. Interest?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All,

Please View This Link

I Feel that There is a Upcoming need of a Regulated Photon Freedom sized Light.

Flashlightboy had raised this question in this regards. I had a initial thought & Concept in Mind. There was a Discussion.

The Problem is that I Do not have Resources & Facalities to carry up such a project to build similar kind of light. But, There are many of you guys who can make such a project as a success.

Is there any interest in such kind of light here?

What we basically need is
1) Someone who can get the small boards Manufactured,
2) Someone who has Plastic Moulding Facalities,
3) Source for Components & LED's (i plan to use Chi-Wing 15,000 MCD Led's)

Any Thoughts are welcome.

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: New Concept, Micro Mini Regulated Light. Inter

I read that thread but just can't understand the point. The 2016 lights work beautifully and are brilliantly simple; either direct drive (Photon II etc.) or straightforward PWM dimming. If you really want to use 2032's instead of 2016's, just make the light a little bigger and use two 2032's.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, paulr, You are right. But then, it wont be serving the purpose. it will be a kind of "Ugly" Fat light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif with 2 CR2032's

I was looking of something of the PIII Size + Regulated + Single CR2032 Cell

This could make a "Killer" Configuration, if we consider runtime of about 8 Hours at constant brightness from that little size.

Furthermore 2016 is EXPENSIVE to run... where as 2032 is Not that expensive at all.

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

paulr

Flashaholic

Jeez man, how many 2016's do you actually use? They're something like 20 cents each from digikey. You can buy whole flashlights with 2 of them inside for $1.00 each from Countycomm. And the direct drive lights have the nice feature of giving off dimmer and dimmer light for days on end. A Photon II will stay usefully lit for longer than an Arc AAA, though the Photon will be dimmer for most of that time.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats true paulr.

i didnt knew about the 2016 cost. I had checked them for the local cost here. local availability here.

I had ordered a couple of components from digikey, they had charged me $58 for the shipping alone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and components costed about $100, mostly Zetex chip & Zetex Transistors only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It is also true that you would get $1 2x2016 lights, but why does every used to buy ARC AAA? (i guess, because of good 'semi' regulation, lower running cost, good runtime, water proof, bullet proof)

leave the last 2 reasons apart, but what if you consider good full regulation, lower running cost and almost same runtime as that of ArcAAA with a much much smaller & Lighter package AND almost the same output as that of Arc AAA?.... that was my idea for putting up this post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

paulr

Flashaholic

The main advantage of an Arc AAA is that a non-flashaholic can replace the battery very easily. You can find the AAA cell everywhere (much easier than the 2032) and it's obvious how to replace it (no tools needed). For a flashaholic, I decided after a while that the Photon II was fine, so I stopped carrying my Arc. Recently when Arc LLC shut down, I started carrying the Arc again as kind of a tribute, but I will probably stop again eventually.

I have a bunch of other coin lights and the CMG O-4 is bigger than the Photon by enough that I bet it could hold two 2032's. I don't have a Photon III or Freedom yet but I've heard they are slightly larger than the Photon II. So the space for the electronics could be part of the space needed by another 2032.

Another simple approach is just direct drive the led from a single 2032. That's how the original Photon worked (2x2016 was discovered by a modder, and then all the manufacturers started doing it). It was dim, but runtime was tremendous. If you want more brightness, you could use a led selected for low Vf, or one with a bigger die, or maybe the ISP 100 mA 5mm led with two dice.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with you paulr, i had also not thought about the non Flashaholic Guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

May be for the time being i drop this topic, later on, when once i get proper kind of resources, money etc... , i will still build it and try to see how many guys like it... this might not be untill next couple of years, but by then, we will be having atleast a 280 mAH cr2032 if not 300 mAH Battery + LED's itself will be more and more efficient. lets see how things shape in future...

Thanks for helping me out and suggesting about the ISP LED's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif may be i will experiment with them in recent future.

So,Currently, most of us need a Arc AAA Kind of light ultimately.. isnt it ? it should have a good runtime atleast of 8-10 hours, 3 LED's will be nice, it will be far more useful than the current thing that we are considering here.

Currently apart from Peak LED Solutions, who else is offering 3 LED Light from a AAA Package ?

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN