Rechargeable in SF M6 (PILA's) 2xx lumens

Kiu

Enlightened
Rechargeable in SF M6 (PILA\'s) 2xx lumens

Last Week I had made this Battery's magazine for my SF M6. I ran 3xPILA 168s(in series) with the MN60 or luxV. I know someone else already running the combo in M4 + 2xA19. But I just own the SF M6, so I made this Batt holder. It's made by Acrylic plastic. Although it is not as tough as the original Batt holder, but it works well to me.
M6%20PILA%20holder%2001.JPG

M6%20PILA%20holder%2007.JPG

M6%20PILA%20holder%2008.JPG

M6%20PILA%20holder%2005.JPG

M6%20PILA%20holder%2003.JPG

I had some questions to who already running this combo.
The freshly PILA's is around ~4.15. So 3x4.15= 12.45 which has similar voltage to 4x123A(12.x Volts). However, may owing low internal resistant or (lesser voltage drop when driving), it seems the MN60 is slightly over driving. The current draw from 3x168s is 1.72A. Did I mentioned above? It is very bright! Even brigther than MN20 with freshly 6x123A.

I have did some RELATIVE test between original M6 and this combo.
By ceiling bounce off test,
3x168s w/MN60: 25.8lux
original M6 : 19.5lux

Lux @ 1m,
3x168s w/MN60: 23100lux (pretty crazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif)
original M6 : 14500lux

So back to the questions, How long will I shorter the Lamp life? Or nothing shorter?? I have ran two recharging cycles of the PILA's with no problem. I really like the tighter beam MN60. If I can run this LA for at more than 10 cycles, I must very glad with it. Now I turn it on everynight.

By the way, as there are already some bare rechargeable 123's (e.g. 16340) & Jon's protected R123. Anyone tired to replace the 6x123's in M6's magazine with six of those Rechargeable Li-ions? I guess it would work with the MN60 too. If I am not wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It is aslo 12.x volts for two rows of 3xR123 in parallel.

Kiu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Rechargeable in SF M6 (PILA\'s) 2xx lumens

Very nice work.

I see that you are comparing the overdriven MN60 to the 250 lumen MN20 M6 LOLA, and not the gun metal colored pedestal 500 lumen MN21 HOLA. Right?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beautiful work...how much for me to buy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did try the MN60 bulb on an MB20 carrier filled with the unprotected R123s, but was too scared to do it for long.

MB20-2.jpg

NOT recommended for obvious safety reasons.

Also, will 3 Pila 168A fit in there?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

OMG, that Pila set up works like that. Oh my. I thought the M6 was a series + parallel setup. How did you resolve that issue. That is a very pretty thing you did Kiu, I am impressed.

Well, gots to run. Gots lots of work to do.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
OMG, that Pila set up works like that. Oh my. I thought the M6 was a series + parallel setup. How did you resolve that issue. That is a very pretty thing you did Kiu, I am impressed.

Well, gots to run. Gots lots of work to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't! His battery holder puts three 168a's in series to run the "12v" MN60. He isn't driving the MN20 or MN21, if he did, he would blow them, or the protection on the Pilas would kick in and nothing would happen.

kakaster,

YES! Caution IS advised with Li-Ion batteries! I have read some absolute horror stories.

makar

Enlightened

great work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
can you point me to the thread where the luxeon drop in is explained? i did a search for luxv but couldn't find the info.
thanks!

jtice

Flashaholic

VERY nice work on the batt holder !!!!!
Those are very hard to make correctly, and yours looks VERY professional.
Bet that makes a great light.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

We discussed something similar the other day and I believe two 2400ma 18650 in a 2S setup should run the M6 HOLA just fine - I´m starting zto think about getting an M6 actually /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Kiu

Enlightened

Jim,

Yes, I were comparing the above setup with MN20 w/6x123A.
If you ask me how bright is it, I will rate it at somewhere close to or greater than 300 lumens.

kakster,
Sorry that I am not planning to make one more of it in a short time. As jtice mentioned above, it is quite hard to make one of this holder. It takes me alot of hours to complete. Three of ~19mm 168A cant fit in the M6.
Below is the top view of the 3x168s in the holder. The holder has dimension of 36.8mm. The max. ID of M6 I measured is ~37.3
top.jpg

Also, you dont need to scared it once you have six of protected R123. I guess you should get similar result. cheers~

makar,
Here & Don's luxeon conversion in Turbo head may be the easliest mod.
And below is the my works on luxeon dropin.
Photo/

Kaus
I read the post about running 2x18650 with M6 HOLA. But the current draw is over 4A /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Is it safe to run Li-ion in such a high current? I wanna try it too.
I think you should get the M6 anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Kiu said:

Kaus
I read the post about running 2x18650 with M6 HOLA. But the current draw is over 4A /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Is it safe to run Li-ion in such a high current? I wanna try it too.
I think you should get the M6 anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, according to Brock's flashlight page the MN21 draws 5 amps! at 5.8 volts. I don't know why Brock's flashlight page says that it runs at 5.8 volts: that's not right: it actually runs at 6.5 to 6.8 volts depending on the state of charge and temperature of the batteries. So perhaps he was wrong about the current draw as well. The M6 w/ HOLA seems to be about a 30 watt light, based on my experience.

[Edit]Current draw IS 4.9 or 5 amps--he was not wrong[/edit]

As for the 18650's, according to the information I've read so far, 4-5 amps would be very near or past the current delivering capability of these cells, except perhaps the Saphions or Konions which must be ordered from overseas (for us North Americans anyway), and I would worry about thermal runaway with unprotected cells.

Last edited:

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

My math would be that for 18650 cells @ 2400ma capacity and at 2C discharge ~ 4.8A are the allowed and possible draw - now that should run a MN21 quite fine me thinks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should soon be able to try this with a 9P&A19 bored out to 18,5mm and a KTx TurboHead.

Klaus