What about the Streamlight TL-3 xenon?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you guys think about the Streamlight TL-3 xenon? I have been studying some charts from different websites and Dans on brightness and what not. I am still looking for a small compact light for short bursts of use that produces a spot of light. I think the Streamlight TL-3 xenon looks like it fits my budget, size and light. Next choice would of been the millinum 3 one, but that was over budget.

Thanks

ugrey

Enlightened
They are great lights for the price, real throw kings. It will fit great in a cargo side pocket. They are a good, inexpenssive, alternatives to Surefire. You will be smiling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Wrangler

Enlightened
Great light with lot of throw! Though the body is not surefire quality it`s performance is. May be a hair better.
Clipped to my pants or belt I carry it at my back inside my trousers.
As said by Dukester: You won`t be disappointed.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
Cheers,
Wolfgang

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
I have both a TL3 and a Surefire M3. personally I love the TL3 better, due to its compact size, Cheaper replacement bulb and you can storage a spare bulb within the light itself.
It has better output and throw than the M3 125Lumens bulb.

If you wanted for everyday use TL3 would be my choice. I would not feel heart broken if I get dents and scratches on it cos its much cheaper than a M3

jbroker83

Enlightened
My TL-3 has been a huge success in many applications. It's output outclasses anything I have in that size. The two lights I own that people actually comment on the brightness vs. size are: TL-3
Princeton Tec Surge

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, good to hear such good things about the TL-3, I just purchased one for ~$65 from Meridian. I would have sent my Mag Mod 2C out here, but its just too big.

Also I have an endless supply of 123's out here. I think there is 1200 of them inside the gear locker with 4000 more coming.

I believe my 24/7 is just right to fit my tasks in near pitch dark conditions, with more power coming from my Longbow Micra when I need it. I did find a hole when I need something that I want to reach out and touch someone. So I ordered the TL-3 xenon.

Of course nothing beats night vision in terms of stealth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Got a set of AN/PVS-7B with me most of the time.

M

MeridianTactical

I have sold tons, with no complaints... Great bang for the $

TL3

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the confirmation. I know the xpg was a bit of a let down, but I should of known LED has a way to go. It is brighter and different than what I own already from mart lights.

I found on a police site online it was like 74 bucks for the xenon. I think I will give LED a few more years before buying another one. Right now I need something to combat my nightblindness in the shop looking under trucks and inside. Batteries are not a big deal, 2 lasted me 10 months in my blinkmann unit and now that I know i can get they cheaper online and a spare bulb I may use it more often.

Thanks guys, this sounds much more encouraging than the xpg.

larry2

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jbroker83 said:
My TL-3 has been a huge success in many applications. It's output outclasses anything I have in that size. The two lights I own that people actually comment on the brightness vs. size are: TL-3
Princeton Tec Surge

[/ QUOTE ]

hi jbroker-how would you compare the light output and beam throw of these two torches ?

larry

paulr

Flashaholic
Larry2, I have both the TL3 and the Surge. Total output is about the same. The Surge has a wider beam, so less throw. That's preferable for some things, less preferable for others. Unless your specific application requires lighting faraway objects, don't assume that more throw is necessarily better. Wide beams are good too.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
If you really want to save money, try the 2C M@glite mod, change the bulb to M@glite's 5 cell whitestar krpton bulb (or KPR112 bulb from radioshack) and use three CR123 cells. Just cut a pvc tube to fill up the space. Its about as bright as TL3 Xenon.

Kiu

Enlightened
mcl2u,

I had done some of RELATIVE test before.

All with fresh battery.
By ceiling bounce off test,
TL-2 read 4.7 lux
TL-3 read 7.8 lux
Lux at 1 meter,
TL-2 read ~6000-7000 lux
TL-3 read ~12000-13000 lux

So, it is hard to bit the TL-3 with other's 3x123A xexon.

knifebright

Enlightened
the tl-3 is a great little light. I find it to be an amazing throwing light even in the city with a lot of amient light around. Hard to beat for the price. Check out brightguy.com for prices and great service.
jimmy