Streamlight ClipMate & Septor

jcb

Newly Enlightened
Brightguy has these listed under "What's New". The ClipMate has 3 white LEDs for $14.95. The Septor is a 7 LED headlamp for $29.95.

Regards, jcb

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compare with Clipper3, it's easier in pocket due to its semi-flat battery layout. Clipmate comes with lanyard and headstrap as well. However, quality of the headstrap is much better than that of clipper3. Since their headstrap is compatible, you could use your clipper3 on Clipmate headstrap.

I was pretty happy with Trident except its incandescent lamp setup and I have to replace the incandescent with another LED to make it as 4 LED light. When I heard about Septor a couple months ago, I can't wait to get it. I received it last week. I was very disappointed when I switched on the light. It has ugly rings on one side of the beam regardless how many LEDs are on. Suspecting that defective reflector might be the cause and it's not. After looking over and over, no scratch or irregular surface on the reflector was found. Eventually, I found that LEDs were not centered since the body isn't designed for this setup. The problem could be resolved if they don't use the same body as Trident. I have seen a new body that uses this 7-LED setup from the same manufacturer but haven't seen it in the market yet.

For the moment, I remove the reflector and all these rings are gone. Removing the reflector won't affect its function in any way except that, it doesn't look very good cosmetically
frown.gif

Its reflector issue asides, this is a very good LED headlamp. Use a single LED for reading, 3 LEDs for around camp and 7 LEDs whenever you feel more light is needed. Like Clipmate, its headstrap is of much higher quality than that originally comes from its OEM manufacturer.

You could also get optional rubber headband for helmet.

Alan