Scorpion vs E2

bkral

Newly Enlightened
Similar performance, but I replaced my Scorpion with the E2 because the E2 fits in my pocket better, and that was worth the extra $15.

-BCK

Gandalf

Enlightened
I greatly prefer the E2. I had my Scorpion turn on twice in my coat pocket, and it was dead when I needed it. I tried removing the rubber cover and modifying the switch, after the first time it happened, but after the second time, I retired it to my workbench. So my only complaint is the switch; it's a very nice light, considering how much cheaper it is than the E2, or even the 6P Surefire. If cost is a factor, you might consider the Nitrolon (plastic) version of the 6P. Not as small as the E2, but around the same price as the Scorpion. Surefire really kinds of stands by itself in it's market, which Surefire created, and then filled with the best products on the market. Other manufacturers have tried to compete against Surefire, but they don't get much of the market.
wink.gif
I own one of most of the competitors, but the urefire is the one I use, and trust the most.
cool.gif

Byron Walter

Enlightened
The E2 is the smallest 2 cell lithium light (AFAIK). This really is an important factor since you are more likely to have it with you (small is better when in one's pocket). The quality of the light is exceptional and there's little chance of it accidentally coming on (unlike other small lights I have owned). Assuming SF does come out with the lower power bulb the E2 will be even more versatile.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
Considering price and peformance. Would you buy Surefire E2 or Streamlight Scorpion?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brock

Flashaholic
I can't say enough good things about the E2. If you have an E2, ArcAAA and a Photon, what else could you need? Ok maybe a M6, but that might be excessive. Seriously though, I rarely (if ever) use my Scorpion now that I have the E2.

Bucky

Enlightened
Plus, just wait until 2002 when the "new and improved" E2 comes out. A great light will get even better.

Bucky

JB

Enlightened
What, there's going to be an updated E2 out for 2002!@? Start saving for next year, rather than X'mas
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I wish we'd see a plastic/Nitrolon version of the E2. Not for the cost savings as much as the weight savings.

Bucky

Enlightened
Sorry for the delay. I don't have any specific news. The only thing I know is that when I replied to the "Ideal light" topic on the SureFire forum and said that my ideal light would be "An E2 HA with the M2-style clip, a high-output lamp (at least 100 lumens), a pyrex lens, a clickie lockout tailcap, waterproof, and with anti-reflective coating and a place to attach a lanyard." PK then replied:

"Bucky,

Sounds like you are pretty reasonable guy.
We probably can meet most of your requirements...

2002 models will be introduced at the Shot Show at Las Vegas, Mid Jan. 2002."

That's all I know. Sounds like the E2 will be getting some of the things that the M2 has. My best GUESS is that the new E2 is waterproof, has a place to attach a lanyard, has an M2-style clip, and has a new high-output lamp. This is only my guess. I would bet that the clickie tailcap, anti-reflective coating (not that big of a deal anyway), and pyrex lens will have to wait. To me, total waterproofness, a better clip, the option of a high-output lamp, and a clickie tailcap are the additions that would really make the light considerably better. The other things are just icing on the cake.

The entire thread from the SureFire forum is located at: http://discuss.surefire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000709

Bucky

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I can't say enough good things about the E2. If you have an E2, ArcAAA and a Photon, what else could you need? Ok maybe a M6, but that might be excessive. Seriously though, I rarely (if ever) use my Scorpion now that I have the E2.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the lights you mention sans the M6 but the light I use most around the house is the 8AX. The E2 is a great light that you can easily slip in your pocket and is my suitcase light. People have posted previously that the Scorpion's run time is slightly subpar compared to an E2.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The new PocketClip with Lanyard attachment point does give the E-Series that option, which is an improvement. I love the E2, but have always said that a LockOut TailCap would give it several advantages including improved water-resistance.

Of course a high output lamp for the E1 would be amazing. There is a 100Lu 'level' above which I feel the output is significant.

If a high output lamp of atleast 100Lu is created for the E2, giving it a Pyrez Lens would appear to be a good idea.

These changes in Lens and TailCap would go a long way towards a waterproof evolution of the E2, and I am for such an evolution.

The UKE 2L plays a different card to most (all?) other 2 cell 123A models in that it goes for runtime over output. Only SureFire appear to be producing flashlights with a range of lamp module options, and any further evolutions of the E2 will only strengthen it's position as the ultimate in it's "class".

Al