who sells the brightest 5mm Red LED in 45 degree viewing angle?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

was wondering who sells the brightest(in candela) 5mm naked red LED, with a viewing angle of 40-50 degrees?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i checked out those sites, toshiba has a 5mm
red LED rated at 8000Mcd, but it's a very narrow beam angle...8 degrees!
i need something like 45-60 degrees.

Jonathan

Enlightened
Take a look at the 'Superflux' leds from Lumileds. These are not 5mm diameter devices, but they are a small 7.62mm square. There is a small dimple in the center of the device which acts as a lens.

These devices are _bright_. They are designed to efficiently carry heat away from the junction, and can be operated at 70mA. They are rated in lumen rather than candela, but the datasheet gives a conversion for the various beam angles offered.

The datasheet claims a typical luminous flux of 3500 mlm for red, and 4200 mlm for 'red/orange'. However when I ordered some of the 'red/orange' devices I got category 'J22' devices, which are rated for about 6000 mlm.

I ordered the wide angle LEDs, with a viewing angle of 70 degrees. According to the datasheet, these have a candela rating of about 3600 mCd. If I'd gotten the 'narrow' beam version, then the rating would have been something like 12000 mCd with a 30 degree beam.

-Jon

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Jonathan
i checked out lumileds, their superflux is really bright etc..., but i need the LED to be "naked" like in this diagram.
5mm%20naked%20LED.jpg

Jonathan

Enlightened
I would suggest that you look through the following and search back to the manufacturers for datasheets.Don's 'LEDs with Punch!'

I suspect that you will be limited to 30 degree viewing angles if you want really bright LEDs in the 5mm cylindrical format, but this will be a start, and you can always grind the face of the LED to get a wider viewing angle.

The part HLMP-ED31-SV000 suggested on the LEDs with punch page will pretty much be the brightest wide angle 5mm LED, but it only has a 30 degree viewing angle, which doesn't meet your requirements.

-Jon

D

**DONOTDELETE**

maybe i should change my question...Where can I get RED 5mm LEDs FLAT tip or round in 45-55 degree veiwing angle period.
at this point i'm ready to buy various LEDs by different manufacturers and simply test them myself.

the reason i don't want to "grind" the end of the LED is, i would eventually be purchasing large quantities, and would be impractical.