Opalec Newbeam with 3V Li AA?(CRV3)

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
while awaiting my "micromag" im contemplating which led mod im gonna do to it. the different battery configurations make it kinda confusing. Anyways im think i want to go with a CRV3 therefore having 2 3V lithium AA's(1 for use, 1 for spare/backup) and an Opalec Newbeam.

any guesses on the runtime with that combo? i think someon posted that the AA's in the CRV3 were about 200mah higher in capacity than a CR123??? but i haven't even heard runtimes for an opalec and a 123 yet either, though i know it's been done.(ie. McGizmo's E1e/opalec mod)

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'm not sure what the advantage of doing this over having two AA lithiums instead. Both have good shelf life, but 2 AAs would have longer runtime, I'd think. Only bonus is size. Not worth it in my book.

I've got a 3LED 1LED Dorcy modded to a 1 Watt luxeon, and I'm powering it with 1/2 of a CRV3. Great brightness, long runtime, but I haven't tested it. I'm mostly using my SL Jr. Luxeon instead; definitely brighter than the Dorcy Luxeon. The Dorcy is definitely pocketable, the SL isn't.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
I'm not sure what the advantage of doing this over having two AA lithiums instead. Both have good shelf life, but 2 AAs would have longer runtime, I'd think. Only bonus is size. Not worth it in my book.

I've got a 3LED 1LED Dorcy modded to a 1 Watt luxeon, and I'm powering it with 1/2 of a CRV3. Great brightness, long runtime, but I haven't tested it. I'm mostly using my SL Jr. Luxeon instead; definitely brighter than the Dorcy Luxeon. The Dorcy is definitely pocketable, the SL isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i know there's no runtime or brightness advantage over using 2AA lithiums but im already on the list to get the "micromag"(cut down minimag) and im wanting to of course update it with led's. i've been looking for an excuse to get an opalec newbeam and this looks like the perfect excuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. and from what i've heard the newbeam won't work on just 1 regular AA or even lithium for that matter. that's why im looking at the 3V lithium. don't want a luxeon mod because i've already got a luxeon 1AA light(see sig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

just kinda curious on how much regulation runtime i'd get out of this combo. last i saw the AA's in the CRV3 each have about 1500mah??