Infinty Ultra old vs new picture

Streak

Enlightened
Hi,
Take a look at this and lets have your comments. It's not a clickie switch on the back but the turn before the one that switches the light on has some play allowing a semi-tactical mode if you just push down on the tail cap.

Streak

New vs Old

paulr

Flashaholic
I like the old version better. And the notion of a "tactical" light with a 5mm, 0.1 watt LED is completely bizarre.

Can someone with both versions weigh them both on an accurate scale? I bet the new version weighs more, in addition to being bigger and uglier.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted elsewhere that I received one of the new-style versions today (black body, red LED). I like everything about it, except for the spring in the tail cap that is held in place only with a blob of solder. Seems cheaply made in this regard, and doesn't look like it will hold up in the long run. The old flavor has no such spring, and seems more likely to last. Thats my impression, anyway. I prefer the old.

best regards

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though battery rattle isn't a big deal, most prefer no rattle rather than rattle. If the spring gets rid of rattle, isn't that worth having? Unless its so cheaply done that it compromises its reliability. I have a Sonic with a spring and no malfunctions so far.

Niteowl

Enlightened
I got my first Infinity a couple months ago. Now have four (2 Infinties/2 Ultra-G's). Don't care for the new style, too busy and too many parts. Throw a Dr. Scholl's pad in to quite it (thanks Paul).

Less is more!

Mark

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a clickie, momentary/twist or just plain twist tailcap? If it's the latter, I'd prefer the old twist head. It's easier to turn on a small light one handed with a twist head as opposed to tail.

Eliminating rattle with the spring should help increase the "perceived" quality of the light, which is always important in the sale of a product.

flashlite

Enlightened
The best thing about the old Infinity was its simple, no nonsense, in your face, knock the socks off your 'b@ll$ design (OK - maybe I'm getting a little carried away). Gerber should have just left it alone.

lunardelite

Newly Enlightened
all i want to know is if they fixed the horrible centering of the led
i've bought 2 ultra-g and one silver ultra and all the led's are off center
this makes me wonder about the ultra-g really being government issue
i mean would the government really order from a company with such
terrible quality control?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've been tempted to get an Ultra-G, but seem to remember some posts in the past about this centering issue. Is the quality control on the regular Ultras perhaps better than the G model? I've got an old standard Infinity with perfect centering, but maybe I just got lucky.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Ultra-Gs and Infinities have really grown on me. I didn't think that much of the first one right away but the rugged simplicity is hard to beat. I ended up with quite a few of them because I was unsure of how I would feel about Gerber's changes.

I don't really like what I've seen so far but if they do make a better product it will rise to the top and be with us for a long time.

Does anyone here know when the first Infinities came out?

Does anyone know when the first Ultras came out?