New Dorcy Luxeons...

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Has anyone been able to get their hands on one of these?...These appear to be 2 new lights released by Dorcy.Their past reputation for value and decent performance leads me to believe that these may be 2 new performers on the market...
Dorcy #1
Dorcy #2
The #2 light looks very interesting with that very deep head.I wonder if this is a deep reflector as it looks too deep to hold an optic...anybody have more information on these?

Robocop

You are probably correct as the competition in this area is very fierce indeed.I will have to give credit to Dorcy however as I feel they are cranking out some decent lights for mostly reasonable costs.The huge success of their AAA LED only to be followed by their AA and 2-AA models was pretty quick to market.I have recently purchased a few of their 3-AAA(cylinder type battery holder)luxeons and these also were very impressive for the 24 dollar cost.
I feel that if these 2 new lights follow in the footsteps of their other offerings these will also be decent lights.I have always wondered why Wal-Mart does not carry any more of the Dorcy line other than the single AAA LED.They are always cheaper than Target and the prices in the above links would probably be much cheaper at WallyWorld.

danielo_d

Enlightened
Wow!
Thanks for the update, Robocop! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I recently got my very first LS flashlight. [finally due to lack of funds.] I got Dorcy's 3AA model.
It's great, except for the lack of heatsinking, and the flash-mode. Otherwise, love it!
After seeing this thread, went to Dorcy's site.
Found the only update was this page...

http://www.dorcy.com/1_watt_led.htm

Thanks again!

Danno

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who carries the 1W 3AAA? I can't find them. I got two several months ago that a CPFer was kind enough to buy and ship to me from NY and I'd like to get more as gifts.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I bought mine on Ebay in mid-March, so no help here, sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AlCanada1

Newly Enlightened
Pete,
Yes, we are still here, and sorry for the delay,but the fact of the matter is we are up to our eyeballs trying to look after retail accounts. Also, we are shipping over 25 different LED lights (including 3 and 5 Watt) into overseas markets and the demand is very strong. Be patient, we will be up soon.

danielo_d

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
Who carries the 1W 3AAA? I can't find them. I got two several months ago that a CPFer was kind enough to buy and ship to me from NY and I'd like to get more as gifts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now, some Targets are carrying them. I went to three stores and only one had a bin for them. Luckily I got the last one. It was about a week ago. There are a few threads about them being in Target. I got it for around $28 IIRC. I was bummed that the Costco's near me didn't stock them. For a short test period, some Costco's carried them earlier this year. A Costco 3 hours away had them in two-packs for 30 plus dollars...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Good Luck!

danielo_d

Enlightened
I am eagerly awaiting the 2AA 1-Watt from Dorcy at more stores.
So if anyone is listening...
Ahem...[AlCanada1] Ahem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

jk

Be nice to see more 1-watters at Target or WalMart.
Thanks for bringing the 1-watters to the masses so far Dorcy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Danno

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
danielo_d said:
I am eagerly awaiting the 2AA 1-Watt from Dorcy at more stores.
Be nice to see more 1-watters at Target or WalMart.
Thanks for bringing the 1-watters to the masses so far Dorcy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Much as I applaud the 1 watters, and I too like the looks of the 2AA -

The main trouble is that the light @ over $30 - will compete directly head-on with things like the MiniMag @ $8, and a new Brinkmann 2x CR123A Xenon light (which I just saw at Wal*Mart) at under $20.

Yes, I do know that these are completely "different" lights - but to a lot of people a light is a light, and most likely much more interested in how bright they are......

The 2AA MiniMag at under $8 means even if the Dorcy 2AA 1 Watt is a lot more efficient - it will take a L-O-N-G time for it to be more economical to make up for over $22 worth of batteries......

The new Brinkmann 2x CR123A Xenon light will simply blow away any 1 watter at over $10 less........

Robocop

Hate to bring up an old thread but a search showed little new information on these lights.I am most interested in the super 1 watt as it appears to have a nice deep reflector and uses 2 AA cells.I keep hoping to see them at Target or some other local places yet have not been able to find them.Anyone seen these for sale anywhere?....The Dorcy web site shows them to be available now but again I cant even find them for sale at the usual on line stores.

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
Robocop
I have contacted Dorcy by phone and email (took 5-6 emails for them to answer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif). They told me none of the big retailers will have them until after the 1st of the year. California Hardware (loc?) was supposed the get them, but I can not find them and Dorcy has not answered my latest email.
I kept looking for them too, but after hearing they are $37 on line, I am debating the SL JR Lux instead on Ebay for $31. I am trying to hold out until a CPF'er gets one and tells us if they are worth it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I am just looking for a regulated light to drop my weak AA's from my Elektrolumens Blaster JR and Gerber LX 3!!!

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
Robocop
One more peice of info. I checked the price of the SL JR LUX on 'ON THE EDGE' where the Dorcy 1W AA was. It was $45, while most others sell it for $30, so if/when the Dorcy 1W AA gets to a Wally World or Target, it may be closer to $20-25. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MGLloyd

Newly Enlightened
I will be very interested to see the new 1 watt Lux/2 AA by Dorcy. For anyone residing in the Pacific Northwest, Fred Meyer (a regional variety/hardware/grocery store) carries many of the Dorcy flashlight models. In the Seattle area, I have found Target or Fred Meyer to be the most reliable sources of Dorcys. I will be keeping an eye out for the new 1 watt at both chains.

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
BrightGuy.com should have the Dorcy 1W AA by the end of next week. They will be $24.50 from them and their freight is about $5.55, for about $30.05 total, so $5 cheaper than the SL JR Lux. The local Dorcy Rep is hand checking them, so the packages will have been opened, as the first ones received had some issues.
The light is partially focusable I believe, and if they do as well at draining batteries as their AAA's do, I will use it to 'finish off' those Alkalines when putting fresh ones in my emergency lights!!!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know some Target locations have the 3AAA Dorcy. Haven't seen a 2AA Dorcy Lux though.

steve_vance

Enlightened
I have a couple of the 1-watt mentioned above....received them about a month ago....this light is roughly equivalent in performance to the Streamlight Jr.....in brightness,runtime and overall quality/fit/finish. If I lay the Dorcy and a Stramlight Jr on the table next to each other, unless I look closely, I can't tell them apart. Both are Chinese in origin.