Hosfelt 25-377 Green LEDs

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a few of these recently on account of Craig's recommendation of them. See his site under green LEDs. As usual, he was right on the money!

These are the brightest 5mm LEDs I have ever seen! They also appear to be remarkably efficient. I put 4 of them in my Moonlight headlamp, and when resistored down to just 10ma, they still give off decent light! When I run them with the built in 4.7 ohm resistor off 3 AA NiMH, they pull only 90ma at first and drop off to 75ma quickly. The thing is, they're still about 30% brighter than the whites I had in there, and that was with me overdriving those at 180ma total!

These little monsters are incredible!!!
shocked.gif
Thanks Craig! U DA MAN!!

Andre

Newly Enlightened
Those green leds are pretty darn bright, and amazingly efficient at very low power. I had 12 wired up in a 4x3 matrix, hooked up to a 9v wall wart with a resistor to drive them at 25ma. I could unplug the adaptor from the wall and the silly green leds would stay dimly lit for an hour or more, running off the remaining power in the wall wart's capacitor.
shocked.gif

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
I am planning to use 5 of those green LEDs in a small headlamp to walk the 100 km in august.
I've ordered some greens from a German site (2 dollar each)
Specs: 12800 mcd/35° @ 20 mA.

Lux, what are the specs from your LEDs and do you know their voltage drop (@ 20 mA)?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WayneM:
Duuuuh. Nevermind. Where is the "Remove Previous Post" button?
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just highlight the edit box at the top of your unwanted post, and that takes you to edit page-then 1 click down to "delete entire post"-then down to "submit" and POOF!-your post is gone...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wim Hertog:
I am planning to use 5 of those green LEDs in a small headlamp to walk the 100 km in august.
I've ordered some greens from a German site (2 dollar each)
Specs: 12800 mcd/35° @ 20 mA.

Lux, what are the specs from your LEDs and do you know their voltage drop (@ 20 mA)?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're rated at 10,000mcd/15 degrees, but I think that may be an understatement. See Craig's remarks here. They're in the Hosfelt catalog, but they're not currently listed on their website. They only list 2% of their products there, so you have to call them. They're also only $2.99 now.

12,800mcd/35 degrees sounds pretty high, but if it's from a trustworthy source, I'm interested in how they turn out.

I haven't measured the voltage drop, and all my LEDs are now soldered into the headlamp.

By the way, I just got back from some field testing in the mountains with my (now) green Moonlight. It blows away my red LS on 2AA batteries, and it's drawing about 1/3 the current (although at about 3/2 the voltage). The LS has a slightly brighter center spot at absolute dead center, but not much else to speak of. The beam angle on these LEDs when used in a headlamp is so ideal, that I could not figure out whether I would prefer a broader or narrower beam. They also have a decent amount of spill light which the LS doesn't have at all.

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
Green LEDs from digital eska arrived today.
Appears to be Nichia guts in a different package. They are extremely bright (when you fire up a white Nichia and then fire one of these, the white just dissepears). Nice wide beam (35-40°) with almost no rings.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
These could be the same LED's as used in my green LED torch conversions. I got mine from Maplin Electronics. (Code No NR86) They are exceedingly difficult to get hold of here in England! Maplin had to send away to head office to get mine, and the national office had only 14 in stock! I really like them though as it allows me to build some incredibly powerful single LED conversions!
More NR86's please, Maplin!